Thursday, January 25, 2007

National Holiday January 27?

Hey folks,

First, let me say this. I mentioned that yesterday was a big and busy day for me. This is because it was my first day back to a semi normal schedule. One week ago Tuesday, I woke up in the morning not feeling so good. Physically, I do not always feel so good. I’ve pretty much beat the hell out of my body over the years, so I’m use to it. I figured it would just go away. Well about 8:30 am I got out of my vehicle and felt what felt light a bolt of lightening shoot through the left side of my body.

I called a friend of my who was also in Port St Lucie Fla. and advised him of the situation. He rushed me to the Urgent Care facility there. After being hooked up on EKG, and other things, I was sent home. This is why is seemed I was here more the last two weeks. I still should do some more tests coming up, but I feel one hundred percent better. Doctors cleared me to return to normal yesterday, so I had some catching up to do. But right now, I’m good. Back to myself, and not to worry.

Now the news of the day? I told you so. Basically, I’m sure I’ll touch on some aspects of all of it soon, but basically, the President gave his State of The Union Address on Tuesday. The LWL and some in the MMD did not like it. The Dems passed a "Non-binding" resolution saying that more troops are not in the best interest of the country. But that basically means,,NOTHING.

So what I want to talk about today, wanted to yesterday, is January 27. Should this be a new national Holiday? I say yes. What say you? What am I talking about? This article by Reuters’s Evelyn Leopold

U.S introduces UN resolution on Holocaust deniers

"The United States introduced a U.N. resolution on Tuesday condemning denials of the Holocaust, weeks after Iran sponsored a meeting dominated by speakers questioning the extermination of 6 million Jews in World War Two.


A total of 72 nations so far are sponsoring the resolution in the 192-member General Assembly, including all countries in Europe, Israel, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

The United States and its allies hope for a vote in the General Assembly on Friday.

The aim is to get more than the 104 sponsors of a November 2004 resolution making January 27 the International Day of Commemoration for victims of the Holocaust, diplomats said."

I say great. Not only should it be an international day of remembrance, but it should be a national and legal Holiday. Why not? We have a Holiday for other things. We have MLK Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, ETC. We celebrate past Presidents, Religious figures, and even a groundhog. OK I know, I know, the groundhog thing is not a national holiday, but what other event in history is more deserving than that of remember six million Jews being murdered during one of the darkest parts of history?

I have no problem with,

"The operative part of the resolution has only two paragraphs. It "condemns without any reservation any denial of the Holocaust" and "urges all member states unreservedly to reject any denial of the Holocaust as a historical event, either in full or in part, or any activities to this end."

We have our Independence Day. Why not celebrate the Jews Independence from Hilter?


"At the urging of former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, the General Assembly in January 2005 held its first ever session on the Holocaust to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland.

Up to 1.5 million prisoners, most of them Jews, were killed in Auschwitz alone. A total of six million Jews and millions of others including Poles, homosexuals, Russians and Gypsies were murdered by the Nazis and their allies during the war.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in a statement last Friday said "the Holocaust was a unique and undeniable tragedy."

"The ability of the Nazis to command a following, despite their utter depravity, still strikes fear," Ban said, adding that the commemoration was "an essential response to those misguided individuals who claim that the Holocaust never happened, or has been exaggerated."


Not only would a National Holiday force people to remember that of which should never be forgotten, most definitely be a slap in the face of all the Idiots out there that would like to deny the reality of this horrific slaughter of innocents, but it would give the Jews here hope that the world really does care. They get bashed enough by anti-semitism from all over the world. They deserve this respect, acknowledgment, and remembrance. This will not solve anything, erase anything, or ever make up for any of it, but it will keep in mind that it happened, and if we forget the past, it could happen again.
Peter

No comments: