Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Barack did NOT botch the Oath

It was Chief Justice Roberts that messed up


Hey folks,

Not much time this morning, I have to run. But I just wanted to comment on something that I kept hearing yesterday after the swearing in.

"Obama messed it up." He completely Botched the Oath." "Is he REALLY President? He did not recite the Oath as it is in the Constitution."

Folks, in the spirit of being true to my words, and even at the risk of having some of you seek to strip me of my Conservative Credentials, I have to, for the third time, come to the defence of now President Obama.

OK. Here is the Oath

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Presidential oath of office, Article II, Section 1, United States Constitution

Now I just posted the Video and the Transcript of President Obama's Inauguration Speech last night. Here is how it went.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama do --

BARACK OBAMA: I, Barack --

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: -- do solemnly swear.

BARACK OBAMA: I Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: That I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully.

BARACK OBAMA: That I will execute...

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Faithfully the office of president of the United States.

BARACK OBAMA: The office of president of the United States faithfully.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: And will to the best of my ability...

BARACK OBAMA: And will to the best of my ability...

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

BARACK OBAMA: Reserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So help you God?

BARACK OBAMA: So help me God.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

OK. Look at this.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama do --

BARACK OBAMA: I, Barack --

Roberts cuts him off.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: -- do solemnly swear.

Obama starts again.

BARACK OBAMA: I Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: That I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully.

THAT is not correct. Look at the Oath again. "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute,,"

BARACK OBAMA: That I will execute...

Right there is where Obama stops. Not you know, that he has be practicing this Oath for days. He most likely stood in front of a mirror and was repeating this, memorizing this, OVER AND OVER again. These are the most important words he has EVER said in his entire life. This is when becoming President of the United States is completed. Without this Oath, you are not President.

So picture in your minds eye, Obama going through this in his mind, as Roberts is saying it, then all of a sudden, Roberts goes off script. Obama is repeating, then all of a sudden, "Hey wait a second, that's not what you just said."

Then Roberts realizes it and attempts to correct it.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Faithfully the office of president of the United States.

Now at this point, Obama just wants this done so he tries to speed up a little bit. It comes out like this.

BARACK OBAMA: The office of president of the United States faithfully.

Now the rest of it is fine. But as you can clearly see, and hear in the Video, think what you will of Obama and his politics, but here is a guy, born just like we are, lived his life with hopes and dreams, and DARED to dream of becoming President. He is now, not only standing at the gateway of destiny, but is at the gateway of HISTORY, and the "Gatekeeper" if you will, just changed the password.

I guarantee you, that Obama HAD to be nervous. Wouldn't you be? So when Chief Roberts messed up, it threw Obama off. Believe me, I will have enough to criticize President Obama about in the future, and will, when he deserves it. But let's give the guy a break. Yesterday was his big day. It's not really fair to blame him for just attempting to follow along with the rules when the person he is suppose to repeat messes up.
Peter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the cannons firing was kind of cool.

Peter said...

Hey D.S. Welcome back,

Yeah me too. Hey, for $150 million dollars, I'm sure there was something there for everyone. To bad he had to redo the Oath. When and how? in a Private Room with a couple of witnesses.

Could have save all that money, and got it right, if he just did that in the first place. With the economy in the state it is in, I can think of a lot of things he could have spent that money on.
Peter