Saturday, August 26, 2006

Just My Thoughts{2}

Hey folks,

I was asked a heartfelt and honest question back in February. The following was my answer to that question.

It is February, the time, we as a country, have chosen to celebrate black history. Now if you agree with that practice or not, one thing does stand out and will remain in the fore front of most’s minds. Martin Luther King’s speech when he said, to judge a person by the content of their character. A nice thought to some. A way of life to others. Easy to say, hard to explain. But it is one hundred percent true.

I’m sharing this here because of a recent conversation I had with someone who, in essence, asked me how I could accept a friend’s of mine lifestyle. It went something like this,

"I know you. You go to church. You believe in God. Although you do not shove it down peoples throats, you believe in Jesus, and the Bible being the "Word Of God.". Then how can you have such a good friend who is a lesbian?"

My response was a little less articulate than this, but here is the reason. First, I have friends that are Jewish, Atheists, Christian, Black, Oriental, Indian, etc. Yes, my friend, BEST friend, one I would consider a family member, IS a lesbian. How is this not a contradiction? I KNOW her character. It really is just this simple. If I like you, I like you. If I do not like you, then I do not like you. Period. I know many "Christians" that I cannot stand to be around. I know many people in many walks of life that I cannot stand, nor do I spend much time around. What each one of us do in our lives is our CHOICE. Our lives are our own.

What I believe is what I believe. It cannot nor will it be changed because someone else believes differently. If someone tells me something and I choose to believe it, then it becomes my belief as well. Not their opinion, but our shared belief, because I CHOSE it. I DO believe in the Word of God. I do believe in Jesus. Does that mean you have to? No. Neither do I have to believe what you do. Would I like more people to hear and accept the truth? Yes. But do what they will, I have no control, nor would I what to, over what they choose. If God Himself gave all mankind free will, then who am I to say you have to do this, believe this, or live this way. Would, correct that, DID Jesus condemn the woman caught in adultery? No. Did Jesus EVER say he came for those who are "holy"? No. He said the opposite. Why should I judge anyone? One can judge one’s actions, but NO ONE has the right to judge one’s person.

As I have written here and elsewhere MANY times, religion is NOT salvation. Religion teaches, in some cases, that you should abstain from those that are not worthy. It teaches that God will condemn those that do not do what he says. Now I know that maybe me and Dr. Mike disagree here, but God condemns no one. I DO believe in absolutes. Cause and effect. There are spiritual laws as well as physical. Do A, receive B. Do Y receive Z etc. Jesus pointed the way. Told the truth. Some accept, some do not. Whatever you receive, you CHOSE to receive. Who am I that I have the power to condemn.

Too many times what we have is children born into a family, taught by their parents directly or in-directly, what their parents taught them before. To fear those that are different. To "stick" with their own. To hate. The cycle continues. Instead, if you watch children playing on the play ground, you see all kinds of kids playing together. If their parents were to stay out of it, all would be fine. But then, with the "teachings" of the parents, or "religion", they grow to forget. They grow to follow in the parents footsteps. They grow to hate. They grow to leave those out, or behind, just because they are different from them. This is NOT the best way to live. This is no the way to show love. If you hate one person, then you hate ALL. What is it in your life that you have done, or do, that you are forgiven for? What sin (Yes I used the S word) do you battle with. Are you perfect? I can not speak for you, but I know for a FACT, I am FAR from perfect.

I also see it this way, just because "religion" says something, or society itself says something, does not mean that it’s right, or even has ANYTHING to do with God. My belief is simple, take MLK’s words to heart, judge people on the basis of there CHARACTER. Forget all the hoopla of what this one or that one says. If you do not like MY friends, then as far as I’m concerned, that really is YOUR problem. Look in the mirror, you may not like what you see looking back.

Be it February, August, March, July, or December, we should respect all, all the time. Love those you love. Have nothing to do with those you do not like. But hate NO-ONE. Just my thoughts.
Peter

No comments: