Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Forget Katrina, We Have Ernesto

Hey folks,

The big news today is the sicko Karr not being charged in the JonBenet murder, {So maybe all those apologies to the Father were a little premature?} and of course Katrina "A Year Later" or whatever the headline is..

That is for everyone else. Here in south Florida, the big news is Ernesto. At 5 a.m. ET, Ernesto was about 230 miles southeast of Key West and about 235 miles south-southeast of Miami, just north of central Cuba in the Florida Straits.

Right now it has 45 mph winds gaining 5 mph overnight and is expected to be near the Florida coastline late in the day as it tracked to the northwest at 14 mph. Rainfall amounts of up to 10 inches were predicted for southern and eastern Florida by tomorrow.

I know all this "Doom and Gloom" reporting has taken it’s toll on some. I know that the proliferation of stories about Katrina, how "the government failed to respond" and of course weather people building Ernesto up, people are going to get nervous. Their philosophy is "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". Not bad advice.

People got the message loud and clear. I was out yesterday in Port St. Lucie Florida and attempting to just pull into a gas mini-mart thing to get something to drink, people were nuts. Truly. I saw one person stocking up on "Twinkies."{I would rather have some Peanut butter, jelly and bread} I saw people arguing at the pumps. I got four dirty looks when I pulled up to go in for a coffee. I can imagine that they were thinking something to the effect of "I’ve waiting in line for a half hour to get gas and now I’m here at the pump unable to go in until I’m done, and you are going in before me. You may take the last of what I want. How dare you."

Look people. It really is simple. There is a storm coming. Get ready. Three day supplies of FOOD {I do not think Twinkies count} water, a battery operated radio, gas {If you can get some}, and the other extra stuff. Go home, get ready there, be with you family, and RELAX.

So let’s say this storm DOES strengthen to a cat. 3. I do not believe it is. Is your panicking going to stay it off? Are you capable of changing it’s course? It’s coming. It’s natural, get ready, and relax.

I will be here for as long as I can. However I do want to warn you folks, the OPN runs on electricity. No electric, no new stuff being posted. If FPL is able to keep it on or repair it fast, I will be here as norm with your infotainment. If I am not on for a day or so, and I have not let you know that I will not be, then assume simply it’s the fact that there is no power, and as soon as the power is restored, I’ll be back.
Peter

No comments: