Friday, June 25, 2010

Super-Sized Caskets: A New American Tragedy

An unexpected side effect of Obesity?

Hey folks,

Happy Friday to you. Time to go to the Emails. Now as some of you know, my Wife Laura is a Vegan. This means no meat, no dairy, uh, for her. {Smile} I'm still an all American Male who LOVES his meats and dairy. At the same time, I have eaten quite a few meals that she has made me and found I actually REALLY like a lot of them. Some you can keep. I really HATE Tofu, unless it is fried with some kind of dipping sauce, like Tempura Tofu, or something like that.

Now I have no problem with Veganism, Vegetarianism, No Beefism, or those of you who just want to eat Ring Dings. I do not care what YOU put into YOUR body. It is all a choice. Some of us make better choices than others. I also know that we DO have an Obesity problem in this country.

Now please do not get me wrong here. I am NOT attacking McDonald's, Wendy's, Chick-fil-A, or any other of your favorite Fast Food spots. I'm not advocating taking up Vegetarianism as a weight control issue. I'm making no judgement on what YOU eat. We already have the Food Police out there. But when my Wife sent me this, it was both Logical, and sad to me, at the same time.




Link: Vegsource.com - Super-Sized Caskets: A New American Tragedy

Now I have seen some of our little kids out there, that are truly Obese. I remember seeing this little boy get off the school bus, he HAD to weight in at somewhere around 250, and he looked to be about 12. Sad isn't it? What do we expect if the Parents, via lack of knowledge on how to cook, laziness, or due to financial concerns, bring their kids to fast food spots everyday for their daily meals? Remember that movie Supersize Me?

Now again, PLEASE do not misunderstand me. I'm also not big on "Appropriate Weight" charts and guidelines. Look at the Wrestlers out there. 250, to 300 plus pounds? Some of them would be considered Obese on all these Charts and Regulations, yet, there is not an once of fat, so to speak, on them. John Cena, Batista, ETC. Look them up. They are FAR from Obese. But all you have to do is go to your local Mall, and look around. We DO have a problem in this country.

The good news is though, all this All Natural, Healthier Lifestyle, Education and trends, DO seem to be making some headway. Shows like "The Biggest Loser, and now "Losing It With Jillian", seems to be helping. According to Newswise - U.S. Adult Obesity Still High, But Recent Data Suggest Rates May Have Stabilized

Newswise — The prevalence of adults in the U.S. who are obese is still high, with about one-third of adults obese in 2007-2008, although new data suggest that the rate of increase for obesity in the U.S. in recent decades may be slowing, according to a study appearing in the January 20 issue of JAMA. The study is being published early online because of its public health importance.
Now do not get me wrong, we have a long way to go. I already gave you the Best Diet in the World. Works for EVERYONE, EVERY TIME, and does not cost you a dime. It actually will SAVE you money in the long run. It's called the ELMM Diet. Eat Less, Move More. If we all did this, maybe we could cut down on the Super-Sized Caskets.
Peter

Note: From The Emails is a weekly Segment every Friday, or occasionally anytime, that appears here at the OPNTalk Blog. Please feel free to Email any Articles, Comments, Thoughts, Whatever, that you may like to share to opntalk@gmail.com As always, you never know what you may see here.

No comments: