Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Peace To The Benoit Family, Wrestlers and Fans

Hey folks,

I got some very disturbing news yesterday. Now I understand that some of you will not understand why I am commenting on this. You fall into one of three categories of people.

People that just do not get it. Do not like it at all. Think that Professional Wrestling is a joke.

Those that are true fans.

Those that understand and respect what these people do.

I fall into the last two. As I have talked about before, I grew up around Professional Wrestling. I even did it for a time for fun. I get it. I understand what these people go through just for the shear LOVE of the business. What they put their bodies and minds through on a daily bases for the sole purpose of entertaining you.

Some of you hate Professional Wrestling. I get that. You think it’s nothing more than a soap opera for men. You think the whole thing is fake and there’s no point to it. I have news for you. Is it scripted? In a way. Are there story lines? Yes. But let me hit you in the head with a steal chair. Let me pick you up and drop you through a table. Climb up on top of a 15 foot high steel cage and let me throw you off right through the announce table below. When you come out of the hospital, then you can tell me how fake it is.

I could give you a list of names of Pro Wrestlers that have lost everything in the name of the business. They are on the road over 320 days a year. They live in hotels. Hulk Hogan loves to tell the story that when he was in his prime, He wrestled in Madison Square Garden in NYC, then got on a plane and when to California to wrestle again on the same night. Sometimes these guys, wrestle two or three times a day.

Between serious injuries, including loss of life, loss of marriages, friends, family, and any resemblance of a normal life, very few people make it to a Hulk Hogan, The Rock, and Chris Benoit status. That is just fact.

I love this business. I had the privilege to meet and get to know some of these people. I respect the hell out of them for what they do. I had nothing but the utmost respect for Chris Benoit.

Here is a guy that is not the biggest dog in the pack. Standing only about 5' 10" to 6 even, weighing in at 235 pounds, he ALWAYS fought up hill. 19 years he did what you either do or do not do, gave himself, heart and soul to this business. He was the United States Champ, Tag Team Champ, along with a few others, and at Wrestle Mania 20, he became the World Heavy Weight Champ. I was never more proud of him than I was that night. His dream realized. This would be like YOU becoming the CEO of whatever it is you do. It was a great night.

But then yesterday, I got this news. Chris, his wife Nancy, and their son Daniel, were found dead in their home yesterday morning. This truly broke my heart folks. It also is devastating to those that knew and loved him.

The WWE was following a story line, {A Stupid one I thought} where The WWE owner Vincent McMahon’s character Mr. McMahon died in a limo explosion. Last night on Raw, they were suppose to do a three hour, fictitious tribute to Mr. McMahon. Instead, to my surprise, they broke from the normal taboo of sharing real life, and opened with Vince telling the audience about the discovery of Chris and his family, and turned it into a REAL three hour tribute to Chris Benoit.

ABC News reported this last night. According to ABC -Wrestling Champ Chris Benoit Found Dead With Family

Wrestling star Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son, Daniel, were found dead in their suburban Atlanta home Monday. The deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide, authorities told ABC News.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told ABC News that Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check." When sheriffs arrived at the Benoits' home, they found the wrestler, his wife and their son dead.

There were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation. Pope told ABC News that his department is looking at this situation as a "possible double murder, suicide."

Pope said "the instruments of death were located on scene," but he would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. However, it could be weeks before there is a result.

I will be following this one folks. I will let you know what I find out. If you are not a wrestling fan, sorry. I have to see this one through. Chris touched a lot of lives, and left many great memories. I for one would like to know what happened. I would like to know HOW it happened. I think we need answers on this one.

May the Benoit family, fans, and friends, receive the peace they need in this time of loss. May we ALL get the answers needed for closure on this devastating loss. The WWE issued this statement.

"Chris was beloved among his fellow superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and toward his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

I will see you later or tomorrow.
Peter

No comments: