Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dr Billy Campbell Seems To Be Offended

Hey folks,

I was planning on commenting on this article from the AP -Lobbies stymie action on energy By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press, this morning, until I saw that Dr. Billy Campbell, the President of Memorial Ecosystems responded in the comment section of my article on Saturday Green in Death. I just feel the need to respond. Also, by putting his response here, then everyone can get both sides of this. So Dr. Campbell, welcome to the OPN.

You Dr. Make a lot of assumptions. Lets discuss shall we. First. The article I commented on was written in reference to the whole Global Warming bunk. I was responding to it in that vain. Global Warming is nothing more than a scam. It’s about money and power. There is NO scientific proof that it is real, or caused by man. As a matter of fact, there is a lot of scientific evidence to the opposite. Natural cycles of the earth ETC. So whenever I see this type of garbage in reference to doing the "right thing" because I am destroying the planet, I find it humourous.

At the same time, if you or anyone else want to have a Green Burial, be my guest. My point is, do not tell me I should.

DR. CAMPBELL- I am not sure why right-wing bloggers find traditional burial so scary, or worthy of sarcastic derision. I presume that it has as much as anything to do with what the Southern hill people around here call being "ignert". Two syllable "ignorance" in the local dialect also has a double meaning: "uninformed arrogance". Just for the record, embalming does not stop the body from decaying-it just slows things down.

PETER -First assumption. I am not a Right Wing anything. I’m a Independent. I definitely find that my believe system of faith, morals, and see right and wrong are more associated with the Republicans, but I tow NO party line. I have a major problem with the far Right as well as the LWL. Nice try though.

I guess your reference to the "Hill People" and ""ignert" was to counter mine to the "He reckons?" I never said anything about embalming preserving the body. I pointed out that they seem to be saying in the "religion" of Global Warming, it seems to be a sin and evil.

DR. CAMPBELL -Most of the 300-400 client families who are involved with our conservation burial ground are not left wing environmentalists; far more are religious conservatives who take Genesis 3:19 very seriously, including a number of Jewish and Green Orthodox families who traditionally neither embalm or go in for cremation (I am in no way accusing you of being an anti-Semite, but you must be unaware that most Jewish and Muslim burials are and always have been "green"). Our new project in Atlanta is with a Trappist monastery, whose monks also go in for more simple whole body burial (the monks are buried in their vestments, without caskets, by the way).

PETER -I am very aware of the Jewish tradition of burial. I did not know about the Monks, and I truly thank you for sharing that. I have no problem whatsoever of how someone chooses to dispose or their shell. As far as I’m concerned, the person is long gone. What they do with their body is of no consequence.

DR. CAMPBELL - Of those not motivated on religious grounds, a major issue is cost savings on the total funeral, hardly a nutty left wing idea. While these cost savings also translate into less toxics in the environment, the cost savings are more motivating for most people. It is a free market for people to choose, and for some, cost is very important..

PETER -Again, I have no problem with personal choice. I understand and have spoken out against those that chose to make huge profits off the grieve of families that have lost loved ones. Not saying YOU are doing that, but many do. My problem comes in when someone attempts to guilt me, or tell me I HAVE to do this or that because of a lie.

DR. CAMPBELL - The idea of your body nurturing plants is an old one. Some Quakers were buried in their gardens by the 1600’s in part to nourish their flowers. You might want to re-read Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, which spends a good bit of time on the general idea of the re-incorporation of the bodies of the dead into living things (like leaves of grass). The idea of taking some comfort in the idea that your dead body will be "pushing up daisies" is neither new nor crazy.

PETER -In reference to by doing this you are preventing Global Warming, or at least helping to minimize it IS crazy. I guess I can understand the concept that a decaying body could somehow be used as fertilizer makes somewhat sense.

DR. CAMPBELL -Finally, the idea of using burials to protect natural spaces for people to enjoy (always a bigger deal for me than toxics) is also at least a couple of hundred years old, and should be the darling of libertarians and others who oppose government funded land protection. The "rural cemetery movement" of the early 19th century used private funds (raised in large measure from selling plots) to create natural areas for the public to enjoy (in the days before big city parks, these spaces often charged admission). Fredrick Law Olmstead’s greatest influence in designing Central Park was the example of these cemeteries (including Green Wood in Brooklyn, Mt. Auburn in Boston, and Laurel Hill in Philadelphia). I tell people that the only real innovation of conservation burial is that it employs modern conservation science in its design and long term operating plans.

PETER -I can actually go with you on this one. I understand the space problem. This and I see no reason to take up anymore land when I’m no longer here. I see no reason for my family to have a stone and a plot of land to look at to remember me by. This is why I’m leaning to cremation. But as this article, again, written in the Global Warming genre, argues that every other way is wrong. Is bad. Is sin. This is why it’s funny. Global Warming is a religion to some. You either follow their way or you are a sinner and you will die. {By killing the planet} However, again, it’s not real. It’s all about money and power. This is why it was written. Not to educate, as you are attempting here, but to condemn those that do not see things their way.

DR. CAMPBELL -We do take cremated remains, by the way, so if your head explodes from all of the apparent BS that it is filled with, we will be glad to do your disposition.

PETER -{Laughing} OK, Dr. If I die in your area, you can handle the cremation. {Smile} I have no problem with that at all. But I’m not planning on departing anytime soon.

Sincerely, thank you again for coming on the OPN and attempting to educate people and tell your side of this issue. I’m sure that you have enlightened many people. Again, I have no problem with personal choice. My problem comes when some tell me that I have to follow THEIR personal choice, or that I am wrong, evil, or to blame for the end of the world if I do not.

If you folks want to learn more about Dr. Billy Campbell or Memorial Ecosystems, you can check it out on the web. I’ll be back later tonight or tomorrow with the article about the problems of the search for alternative fuel. I warned you about this. Have a great day.
Peter

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that you stately your case very eloquently. Campbell can do what he wants but in the end it is personal choice.

I too have decided on cremation for a couple of reasons. One of them is cost and the other is the fact that I am not a big fan of going to a grave site to honor someone when I can do that by looking around me at pictures and thinking of the person.

I am not egotistical enough to think that if I have a grave that people through out the years will care whether I existed.

As for burying green, well that is fine and dandy for those who want to do that and it makes sense in a way but the end result will be that if more people do it then land will have to be set aside and then the money makers step in and then we have the same old game.

Last year I finally convinced my mother to get her burial arranged because she did want to be buried and depending on how much longer she lived the cost woulds go up and then again I have other family members who might not want to abide by my mother's decision as for burial so now that the arrangements have been made the thing should be set in concrete more or less so that at least she gets what she wants.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was concerned that the traditional and more conservative aspects of natural burial were lost in your critique (you did go beyond greenhouse gasses- the comments about throwing rotting bodies in holes, for example). I will admit that we greenies all to often set ourselves up for easy shots.

One of our clients was a patient of mine-who had opposed land use planning, National Forest wilderness designation, etc (I had been on the other side). When I told him I was surprised that he was choosing to be buried at Ramsy Creek he said "I love the woods, it's you environentalists that I don't like. This is the way my grandaddy was buried."

I do admit to get irritated when some in the green burial movement seem to want clients to pass an entrance exam. I don't care what your politics are. But the green on my neck barely covers the red if I think someone is being disrespectful of our clients. Thank you for your clarifications.

Sorry about the comment about your head exploding with BS, but I was on a roll.

Billy C

Peter said...

Hey Sam, welcome back,

Cost Is one of the main reasons I have chosen cremation as well. I do not feel the need to have my family dish out thousands of dollars to make sure that my body “rests in peace,” when I am no longer here. Makes no sense to me. But you know, as they say, funerals are for the living.

I definitely believe in pre-planning, living Wills, Wills, and, as much as I do not like them, Lawyers, to get all facts and your wishes CLEARLY stated in advance. Plan ahead. Every day is a gift. We have no idea what tomorrow brings. Look at 9-11, the Firefighters that JUST passed, the accident down the street from your house yesterday. You never know. I’m in a vehicle about 8 to ten hours a day at times. That’s A LOT of possible accidents.

I want EVERYONE to know what happens IF. This way, there is no fighting between family members in a time they should just be dealing with the grief. Not fighting and hiring lawyers of their own.

Glad to see all worked out with your Mom. Let’s hope that’s not anytime soon. Good to talk to you again my friend.
Peter

Peter said...

Hey Doc, welcome back to you.

I try to respond to everyone. Even if I do not agree with them. But sometimes time becomes an issue. Like now, I’m almost out of it. {Smile}

I really appreciate your post. I mean that. I always enjoy learning new things. I always enjoy talking with people of all different beliefs and opinions. This is why this is called OPN the Our oPion Network. Yes I know technically it would be OON, and it may have to change to that, by I like the way OPN sounds. Anyway, thanks for your post again.

I’m glad I could clarify. Like I said, I am an Independent thinker. I lean much more to the Right than I do the Left. I have faith, moral beliefs and see things pretty much cut and dry as right and wrong. I am also not, uh, shy, when it comes to voicing my opinion. But from time to time I do get some that see I mentioned God, Jesus, something that someone on the Right said, or ANYTHING that I agree with when it comes to Bush, and I’m a Right Wingnut. Most of the time they hit and run. Throw insults and then never respond if I respond to them. I was VERY happy to see you did respond back. A lot of times, if they do come back, they find we may not disagree as much as they thought.

As I tell everyone that stops by, stop by anytime, you NEVER know what you may see here.

Feel free to jump in anytime. I really enjoyed our conversation Doc. Oh by the way, no offense taken at the head exploding thing. I thought that was pretty funny actually. Hope all is well with you and yours. Hope to talk to you again sometime. You know, anytime I may piss you off again. {Smile}
Peter