Friday, June 29, 2007

Continuing Discussion of Death and Choices

Hey folks,

Welcome back to the continuing discussion of death and choices. I will be honest with you. When I first read the article I shared with you back on June 17, 2007, I did so in a joking and dismissive manner. I understood the meaning behind the article was to further the lie called Global Warming. It really was. Well, here you go. Green in Death.

What I did not really take into consideration, was that many folks out there truly care about this topic. I have always seen death simply, as a part of life. We are born, then we die. Life is the journey that takes place in between.

Well, through my style of writing, and my attitude towards the Chicken Little crowd out there, I seemed to have had offended Dr. Billy Campbell. He took time out to come here to the OPN to talk about his side of it, Dr Billy Campbell Seems To Be Offended.

Then, we made nice with each other after my clarifying of my position on this. {Smile} But then I keep getting more and more people asking me about what am I going to do when I die. I have said several times I was leaning towards Cremation.

Since this seems to be an issue of interest to a vast number of you out there, I felt the need to share the latest in this discussion. Someone that posted under Anonymous sent me this.

I kind of agree with you all... each person should chose the best possible memorial for him/her, while the green burial does protect and leave natural spaces that continue to revitalize the environment.

There are other alternatives however that you might find more suitable Pete and d.s. I found them here in this documentary, pretty interesting. I believe Billy is in the doc as well, which really showcases his overall purpose in the green burial industry. Really is interesting:
Lasting Imagines.

Thank you whoever you are for sending us the information. I really think I will probably purchase the entire thing. It’s only $12.99 plus shipping. But I encourage all of you that may be interesting in what to do, check this out. If you click on the boxes on the right, you get clips from the Documentary. I do believe that our friend Dr. Billy is in it as well. I encourage you to watch the “trailer.” I truly never knew there were so many different options out there. Some are pretty interesting. The following is what appears on this site.

Synopsis

You know the saying ”death and taxes....,” but tax time comes only once a year and death comes approximately ninety six times per minute.¹ What will be done with you when your minute arrives? Enter Lasting Images, a feature documentary taking a peek at the lighter side of contemporary choices in human remains disposition.

Traditional, six feet under burials are still the first choice among Americans today, so four months were spent following students at a Mortuary Science School filming the beginning to end process of Traditional Burial, and gathering information regarding non-traditional methods of human disposal and memorials.

Then it was on to Cremation, the second most popular choice today. The filmmakers drove all across the US to not only document the numerous ways people use the ashes of their loved one to honor the lighter side of their lives, but also to film an actual cremation.

Next the growing alternative Green movement was explored.
Cast & Crew
director: Hammond Hendrix
producer: Joan Hendrix

No I do not know these people. No I’m not making money advertising for these people. I really and truly found this to be interesting. Since it seems many OPNers and others out there are interested in this topic. This is truly interesting information to share.

This also brings me to one thing that I find to be of the utter most importance. PUT YOUR WISHES IN WRITING Make a Living Will, an actual Will, what to do with you and your stuff. Put it in writing. Have it made LEGAL. Do it NOW While you are well, and of sound mind.

This is something much more important for those of you with kids. You do not want your death to tear the family apart. You do NOT want others to decide what to do with those that you love the most. Make the arrangements now, put them in writing. Make sure many know of your intentions. Legalzoom.com may be an option for you to check out.

I hope you enjoyed this video and the concept of the other options you have out there as much as I did. Thank you again. See you all tomorrow.
Peter

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that you stately your case very eloquently. Campbell can do what he wants but in the end it is personal choice.

I too have decided on cremation for a couple of reasons. One of them is cost and the other is the fact that I am not a big fan of going to a grave site to honor someone when I can do that by looking around me at pictures and thinking of the person.

I am not egotistical enough to think that if I have a grave that people through out the years will care whether I existed.

As for burying green, well that is fine and dandy for those who want to do that and it makes sense in a way but the end result will be that if more people do it then land will have to be set aside and then the money makers step in and then we have the same old game.

Last year I finally convinced my mother to get her burial arranged because she did want to be buried and depending on how much longer she lived the cost woulds go up and then again I have other family members who might not want to abide by my mother's decision as for burial so now that the arrangements have been made the thing should be set in concrete more or less so that at least she gets what she wants.