Friday, November 24, 2006

Kids and Safety This Holiday Season

Hey folks,

I know you are probably tired of this type of thing by now. I know you probably already know all about it. It has been drilled into you for many years. I always thought I "knew it" also. Never really thought about it. But now that I have a Son, I find myself paying closer attention to this sort of thing.

According to WPBF-TV 25 "Fla. Research Group Releases Toy Safety Report"

"There’s trouble in Toyland again this year."

Now I understand and am ALWAYS observant as to what Joshua has in his hand and what maybe heading to his mouth. I understand that small pieces are choking hazzards. I understand that it is MY responsibility to make sure whatever I give him is safe for him. But I did find that I did not realize some of the hazzards out there. According to this story,

"While we can report substantial progress after more than two decades of advocacy on behalf of America's littlest consumers, U.S. PIRG's researchers still found trouble in toyland," said U.S. PIRG Research Director Alison Cassady, the author of the report.

According to the most recent data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, nearly 73,000 children under the age of 5 were treated in emergency rooms for toy-related injuries in 2005, the PIRG press release said. Last year alone, 20 children died from toy-related injuries.

"Even one toy-related death is too many, because these deaths are preventable," said Cassady."

Break


"Choking Hazards: In 1979, the CPSC banned the sale of toys for children under 3 if they contain small parts. The 1994 Child Safety Protection Act required an explicit choke hazard warning on toys with small parts for children between 3 and 6."

Break

"Magnetic Toys: Toymakers have started using powerful magnets in building toys and magnetic jewelry. If a child swallows more than one magnet, they can attract each other in the body and cause a bowel obstruction or life-threatening perforation, the group said. A boy died last Thanksgiving and many others have had lifesaving surgery after swallowing magnets from MEGA Brands' Magnetix toys.

"Swallowing a magnet is not like swallowing a penny. Powerful magnets can wreak havoc inside the body," Cassady said."

This I did not know. This is what peaked my interest. I understand the whole choking thing, but I did not know about the Magnetic thing.

"Lead in Jewelry: Children exposed to lead can suffer delayed mental and physical development or even death. In February, a 4-year-old died of lead poisoning after he swallowed a bracelet charm that contained 99 percent lead, the group reported. U.S. PIRG researchers said that they went to just a few stores and easily found four items of children's jewelry that contain high levels of lead, ranging from 1.8 percent lead to 34 percent lead by weight.

"We've known for decades that lead poses serious health risks to children, so it is unacceptable that consumers can still find lead-laden children's jewelry on store shelves," researchers said in a press release."

I agree this is unacceptable. We HAVE known this for years. How could these companies STILL be permitted to make these toys?

"Strangulation Hazards: CPSC has decided to take another look at the dangers posed by water yo-yo balls after a 5-year-old Bellevue, Wash., boy almost suffocated last month when the toy's stretchy cord wrapped tightly around his neck several times. CPSC has recorded about 400 injuries to the eyes, face and neck since the water yo-yo ball came on the market three years ago.

"CPSC should not wait until a child dies to protect children from the dangers posed by playing with this toy," said Cassady.

U.S. PIRG asked CPSC to follow the state of Illinois's lead and ban the water yo-yo immediately."

A water Yo Yo Ball? Check these out,

Full List: Dangerous Toys (pdf)
Full Report: 21st Annual Trouble In Toyland

"Shoppers should examine all toys carefully for hidden dangers before they make a purchase this holiday season," Cassady finished."

I agree. I will be. I hope you will too.
Peter

No comments: