Sunday, May 17, 2009

Blame The Parents

Everyone wants to pass the blame around, NO ONE wants to blame the parents.

Hey folks,

What do Joshua Markiewicz, Jessica Logan, Megan Meier, and Abraham Biggs Jr. all have in common? Suicide. They all took their own lives. In ALL these cases, the Parents want to blame someone else.

Abraham Biggs Jr. killed himself on live feed via the Internet by taking pills. His Father blamed the Internet and asked for stricter regulations. Yet he had NO IDEA his Son was even ON LINE??? I'm not kidding. He was not aware of his Son's Online presence.

Remember Megan Meier? The 13 year old that took her life after finding out that she was not talking to a boy she thought was real? Lori Drew, 49, was convicted in November on three counts accessing computers without authorization. Prosecutors said Drew created a fake profile on the MySpace.com social networking site to terrorize Megan Meier. The Mother blames Drew, the Internet, ETC. Yet she did not know what her daughter was doing on line, nor did she know that any of this was happening.

Jessica Logan? She sent nude photos of herself to her Boyfriend, then they broke up and he sent the photos to other kids. Here is a Stat for you.

Twenty percent of teens responding to a recent survey by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy said they’ve sent or posted nude pictures of themselves.

Now of course the Male in me wants to ask, where were these girls when I was in school? But then again, there were no cell phones, nor did 90 percent of the girls look like they do today. 10 year olds just did not have double D breasts and dress like they are posing already with most on display.

But the reality is, if you take, allow to be taken, or pass out nude photos to people, there is a chance others will see them. So who does her Mom, Cynthia, blame? The SCHOOL.

But now, Cynthia is fighting back with tech safety groups on Capitol Hill to avoid cases like her daughter’s. She’s advocating The School and Family Education About the Internet (SAFE Internet) Act, which would support existing and new Internet safety education programs for children, parents and educators.

"I’m following in her (Jessica's) footsteps," Cynthia testified Wednesday. "I think she would have wanted me to do this. That’s the only thing that keeps me going."


Cynthia appeared on The Early Show Thursday to talk about her daughter’s case and her efforts to end abusive "sexting" and "cyberbullying" with Parry Aftab, executive director of "Wired Safety." Aftab said such abuses can amount to using the images as weapons.

Where were YOU during all this Cynthia? You did not have a clue did you?

What about Joshua Markiewicz? Joshua {GREAT NAME} used a belt to hang himself at home after he was suspended from school. Why was he suspended? Well, they do not say. Who does the Mother blame? Yup. The school. She even filed a lawsuit

BRENTWOOD, N.H. -The New Hampshire Supreme Court says a local school district can't be blamed for the death of a middle school student who hanged himself after problems at school.

The court upheld a previous Superior Court ruling that dismissed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Raymond, N.H., district, finding the district, a special education teacher and guidance counselor were not legally responsible for seventh-grader Joshua Markiewicz's death in January 2005.

The 13-year-old at Iber Holmes Gove Middle School used a belt to hang himself at home after he was suspended from school.

His mother, Heidi Mikell of Deerfield, accused the district and its employees of branding her son as a troublemaker and driving him to kill himself.

WAS he? Again, I ask, WHERE is the Blame for the PARENTS? I'm sorry folks, but if you have known me more than a year, you are most likely annoyed at me when there is something bothering you. I KNOW it. I pry. I will not leave you alone until you tell me whats wrong.

Family? I KNOW when my Joshua is doing something he should not be. As a matter of fact, I know were he is at all times. My Niece. My Adopted Daughter, and even their FRIENDS. I KNOW when something is up, and I ASK what it is.

After they tell me, I help if I can. Or I warn them of the consequences. They then chose to or not to. I know what is going on online. I can cancel the phone in two seconds, I will, if I ever find out this type of thing is going on.

I'm sorry Parents. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for your lids. Not the schools. Not the Government. YOU.
Peter

Sources:
AOL News - NH Supreme Court rejects student suicide lawsuit
AOL News - Mom Fighting to End Cyber Abuse
OPNTalk - Misplaced Anger and False Call For Censorship

1 comment:

D.S.Harford said...

Remember when we discussed the government trying to take over the internet?