Sunday, October 22, 2006

Perception Vs Reality
"Just My Thoughts" October 22, 2006


Hey folks,

16 days to go until "Judgement Day." Just a reminder. But let’s take a break from Politics for a few minutes.

It has happened to me. That’s right folks. I have met an "OPNer." This meeting took me back to my years of being a Manager for a major Hotel Brand for ten years. Here is what I mean. The person I met, just by happenstance, said to me, "Your Peter. Right? From the OPN Blog?" I, surprised said "Yes." They said "Glad to meet you. I thought I recognized you from the picture." {I knew there was a reason I fought so hard to not put one up there. Smile} I said "Please to meet you." Then it went like this, from the best I can remember.

OPNer "You have a great looking boy" {Talking about Joshua, }
Me, "Thank you"
OPNer "I check out and read your blog often. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say, but I have to ask you something."
Me "Yes?"
OPNer "Don’t you piss a lot of people off. You sound very intelligent but there is a Rush quality about you. You sound a little arrogant at times and even a little condescending from time to time. I understand that you probably live in a big house and not have to worry about every day stuff like paying bills, or going to work every day of the week,,,,," {I interrupted}
Me, "Wait, wait, wait, what did you just say? I live in a big house and not worry about paying bills and going to work?"
OPNer "Yeah. I do not hate you be cause you are ‘well off’, but sometimes you seem to be disconnected from ordinary people."
Me "Ordinary people? Hold on a second. You’ve REALLY got is all wrong.

The following is basically how I explained it, and will here for some of you that may have the same misunderstanding as to who I am, as this OPNer did. I am NOT "well off" I DO work way too much. I work Monday through Friday, sometimes Saturday, to pay bills. I then turn around and come here to be with you all, nearly 7 days a week. I MOST DEFINITELY know what it is like to pay bills, to struggle to pay medical expenses. I do not live in a mansion, or have a chauffeur driven car. I buy my own groceries, well OK, my Wife buys the groceries. She spends $50.00 and comes out with 4 or 5 bags. I spend $100.00 and come out with 2.

What we have here is a perception of who I am. Not the reality of who I am. {Never thought this would happen to me} But I am MORE than familiar with this phenomenon. I am even guilty of it myself.

I worked for a major Hotel Brand for 10 years. 8 or so, of those years I was the Manager. I was always the one that checked in the MVPs. The "Special Guests". The Brand of Hotel I worked for had a policy that none of these MVPs were to be bothered or hounded for autographs etc. Since I never get "Star Struck" I always insisted on checking them in. {Only once did I get Star Struck, but I think I handled it well Smile. More on that later} I have met Actors, Musicians, Politicians, Pro Wrestlers, etc.

One day I, talking about a contrast between perception and reality, saw a reservation for "King Kong Bundy." For you old time wrestling fans, you know who this is. For those who may not like wrestling, he is a guy that can actually claim to be one of very few that ever BEAT Hulk Hogan. I saw that match. Madison Square Garden, back in the day. King Kong Buddy is a large man. Something like 500 pounds about as wide as a mack truck. He would grunt on his way to the ring, go in, and destroy whoever it was facing him on that night.

Well the time comes, in he walks. {Through both front doors of the hotel} Walks up to the desk. WAIT A SEC!!! Is he wearing a shirt and tie????? He says, "Hello Sir. I would like to get a room. I believe I have a reservation Sir. As you can see, I would really appreciate one with a big bed. I kinda need a big bed. I thank you Sir."

OK I had to stop him. I actually said. "Stop. Just stop talking. You are really starting to freak me out." With this he started a belly laugh and asked what I meant. I told him I was a fan, and with that he laughed more. He said, "Would it be better for you Sir if I came in and grunted and said ‘Give me a room or I’ll rip your head off, you pencil neck geek.’?" I said, "Yeah, it might." With this he laughed again, went to his brief case a got out a picture of THAT MATCH. He was standing on Hogan’s chest. He signed it and gave it to me. {I have it to this day.} We actually got along pretty good the rest of his stay, and even shared some more laughs.

This type of thing happens all the time. I saw him performing as King Kong Bundy. I met him as he truly is. The only time I have ever felt "Star Struck" was another time I met someone I thought would be one way, and turned out to be opposite. Donald Sutherland. The Man just looks evil. Plays good "Bad" guys in the movies. Acts a certain way. But when I met him? He saw me as his equal. He even said "I make movies, you work for a Hotel. Whatever." I got the honor to spend about 40 minutes with him discussing movies, and daily news, and politics, etc. HIS choice.

Yes folks, some of the MVPs I met were EXACTLY as they appear, but MOST are not even close. Some you think would be cool, turned out to be complete idiots. Some you think would come in arrogant and demanding, were the most down to earth people you would ever want to meet.

This OPNer got a perception of me and the type of person I am from what they see here. Some of my friends that have actually known me for a while {Years} tell me sometimes I do sound different, especially discussing politics, here than I actually am. Even had one tell me "would they be surprised if they met you in person. They might actually like you." LOL

My brief meeting was a pleasant one with the OPNer. I had to go because I have very little time to spend with you "small people" out there. {Smile} But it was pleasant. An actual thrill for me. The next time you think you know someone who is a public figure, just remember, you really do not know them. Until you actually meet them, you may have no clue.

Just something to think about. Perception Vs. Reality.

Oh did I mention? 16 days to go. Get Ready, Go Vote.
Peter

No comments: