Sunday, October 08, 2006

Just My Thoughts Sunday, October 8, 2006

Hey folks,

I know, JMT is usually a Saturday thing. I apologize for that. With the whole Foley mess, and other obligations it had to wait til today.

What I want to talk about is the difference in "old school" and "new school" views when it comes to work. That’s right folks, I used the "W" word. Don’t laugh, work really is a dirty word to some.

I’m only 37 years old. I’ve been working since I was 16. In those 21 years I have always held true to what I learned growing up. God and family number one, work number two. When you work for someone, you give an honest days work, for an honest days pay. I’m not that old, yet I still remember the blue law. You know, when NOONE worked on Sunday.

As time went on and the necessity of two people per family to work, then need for 24-7, and the massive size growth of companies, we started to see a shift. Both employers and workers started to see the whole concept differently.

The Employers started to see people as numbers. Nearly gone are the days of reward for loyalty and dedication. Retiring with a gold watch is a thing of the past. The workers then started to think about "me, myself, and I", instead of giving 100 percent to their employers, instead of liking to go to work, they started to go for the pay check alone.

This trend transcended into every field of endeavor. Doctors stopped becoming Doctors because they care, to doing it to make a lot of money. Even sports change from the time they played for the love of the game to now multi-million dollar contracts and they refuse to play if they do not get whatever they think they deserve.

Back in 92, I took over as a manager for a major Hotel Brand. I did this for 10 years, both in NY and here in Florida. In that time I hired a lot of people. I fired a lot as well. Seen a lot of people come and go. I witnessed first hand the change in attitude of the workers.

Back when I started, I built a team. The team was the best in the business. Even won awards in regards to that fact. If someone needed off, vacation, sick, whatever, five people would be ready to jump in their spot. As time when on, less and less people would even consider going "above and beyond. Their view was, "I got hired to do a certain job, certain hours, anything else is not my problem."

I remember from the get go, whenever I was asked to do something in whatever job I was working at the time, I would never hesitate to say, "Yes, I’ll do it." I got called all the time to help out. I advanced in EVERY job I’ve had. In some cases, I advanced right over people that had been there for years. Why? Because I believed in giving a hundred and ten percent while I was employed wherever it was I was working at the time.

Toward the end of my Hotel career, those that saw work ethics as I, were few and far between. "I’m sorry, I cannot come to work today, I have a hangnail." Actual excuse.

I worked as a cook for about 2 and a half years after that. Trying to find ANY kind of help that would put the job before going to movies, shopping, bingo, whatever was VERY hard. Keeping good help was even harder due to the company not willing to pay a fair days pay. Then was a Government job. NOW I know why some feel government employees do nothing. Some don’t. They love the benefits, pay, time off, etc. But they HATE working.

I know that I got my work ethics, and learning the value of a dollar by the way I was raised. I know it’s a difficult time right now to find an employer who sees you as more than a number. Look at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart started out about people. They have what they call "The Wal-Mart culture" It’s a bunch of bunk folks. When Sam Walton died, and the corporation took over, it changed from being about the people, to being about money. They do, do a lot of good things for the communities in which they operate. This new $4.00 prescription is GREAT. But their employees? Not so much.

I was at the Gardens Mall in West Palm Beach last night. I was yelled at by a housekeeper, or maintenance person, whatever they call them, because I tried to use the restroom. He actually yelled at me. Why? I surmise that it is because he doesn’t really want to be there. He doesn’t like his job. He is there to collect a paycheck. But here is the problem. He pissed me off. I just told you all the situation. This could have a negative effect on the Gardens Mall, all because one unhappy employee, who doesn’t care, made an unhappy customer who just told countless others about it.

There is an old saying in business. "A happy employee, is a happy customer, is a happy company." But this is only true about 85% of the time. YOU, the employee, also have to like what you are doing. Trust me I know, "old school" work hard, go above and beyond, works. You will in most cases be rewarded. Then if the company turns out to not care, when you part ways, you can honestly say to your next employer, "I did the best I could." Believe me, even if you leave a company, if you follow this rule, even THEY have to admit you were a valued asset. Word will get around.
Peter

No comments: