Sunday, June 26, 2011

IWA For Sunday 062611

Recalls await.

Hey folks,

Yes. I can see it now, the headlines:

"Tom Tom Recalls Hundreds of Thousands."

"Nuvi halts new sales."

"VZ Navigator set to be turned off until."

People often wonder why there are Stupid Warning Labels on things. "Do not Iron while WEARING Cloths." "Caution, HOT." On Lighters? "Flammable." Stupid Labels are for STUPID people. If I buy a Lighter, I sure hope it's Flammable. That's the whole point for buying it. If I buy a Coffee, unless I asked for an ICE Coffee, it better be hot. I Iron naked so I need not worry about that one. Hey, it told me to.

The problem is, someone DID try to Iron while wearing the Shirt or Pants. They got burned. Someone got burned with coffee. And someone must of had a bad day with a Lighter. SO? They sued. "I didn't know." so to make sure that they can limit the damages, because in a lot of these cases the Idiots WIN, Companies are forced to put Idiot Labels on their Products. Remember THIS? Nearly 2 million Summer Infant Video Baby Monitors were recalled after being linked to the strangulation deaths of two Infants. TWO Idiots put the Monitors on the Cribs, where the Child could reach the cord, the Child died. TWO out of 2 Million. But they had to put an Idiot Label on them.

So what is the defect with the Navigators? Nothing. According to Seattle PI - GPS unit sends driver down boat launch, into Bellevue slough


Three young women escaped a sinking SUV after a direction from a rental car GPS unit sent them down a boat launch and into the Mercer Slough in Bellevue early Wednesday.

The driver apparently thought she was on a road while following her GPS unit just after midnight, but she was actually heading down the Sweyolocken boat launch.

"We've seen sitcom parodies of something like this and to actually see it is surprising," said Lt. Eric Keenan with the Bellevue Fire Department.

The road was dark and the driver crashed the SUV into the water in Mercer Slough Nature Park.

"I don't know why they wouldn't question driving into a puddle that doesn't seem to end," Keenan said.
{Laughing}


He says one of the women immediately jumped to safety.

"We understand the other two women tried to stay with the SUV as long as they could by standing on these side door frames, but they finally had to wade to safety when the vehicle kept drifting out farther into the slough," Keenan said.

All three women made out safely, but the SUV is now completely under water.

Officials said the three were in town for a conference and trying to get to a hotel in Bellevue.

"They were trying to re-route their path and found this boat launch near the entrance to I-90 in South Bellevue and just kept driving into the water," Keenan said.

A tow truck driver was at the scene before 5 a.m., but couldn't even see the SUV. However, they were able to eventually find the vehicle and tow it out of the water later Wednesday morning.

Police don't suspect drugs or alcohol were involved -- just a case of a lost driver and a GPS system that didn't quite live up to standards.
OK. To be fair, I use a Navigator all the time. Many times I have been going too fast and missed a turn. The Navigator tells me "Make the next legal U Turn." Or Turn Left here." I'm STILL going to be paying attention to where I am. I will not turn somewhere I do not believe is correct, EVEN IF, the Navigator told me to. It's called commonsense. I love that line from the Fire Lt. Eric Keenan. "I don't know why they wouldn't question driving into a puddle that doesn't seem to end." You think? Oh yeah, that might be the problem.

But look at the way this article ends. "Police don't suspect drugs or alcohol were involved -- just a case of a lost driver and a GPS system that didn't quite live up to standards." So the GPS is to blame? Of course it is. Recall them ALL. Make sure that you put warnings on them. What? I do not know. "Make sure you are on a Road?" Uh, "if you see water, stop and check it out before driving through it?" But just wait. These people or the Rent-a-car Company, or BOTH, will Sue to recover the damage to the Vehicle, or "Mental Anguish," or something like that.

Congratulations Ladies, specifically the Driver, you ARE the Idiot of the Week. You know, I remember once my GPS told me I arrived at my destination when I was still driving. Good thing I did not assume I was there and stop in the middle of the road and get out. Navigators are GREAT. Very useful for someone like me. But you still have to use commonsense. You STILL have to pay attention. You sound like the type that would try to set Cruise Control and go lay down in the back seat thinking the car will drive itself. But hey, now you know.

Have a great rest of Weekend folks. See you soon.
Peter

Sources:
Seattle PI - GPS unit sends driver down boat launch, into Bellevue slough

No comments: