Follow by Email

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dangers In Your Back Yard

We all need to be aware of this.

Hey folks,

Especially if you, like me, have Kids. We do not know. I will admit, I did not care. I love the way they look. Never took much more thought about it than that. What am I talking about? Plants.

Look, I'm no Gardener. Not by a long shot. I have no idea what this Plant is compared to that Plant. If I think it's pretty, or gives off a great smell, there is a good chance I would go for it. Plant them and wait on the Blooms.

However, I did not take thought as to the fact that these could pose a danger to me, Pets, and more importantly, my Children. Until now. BG sent this one in to me saying that we all need to be aware of this. I couldn't agree more. So that is what I want to talk about today in the Health and Science Segment this Week.

Plant exposures are a common source of poisoning in the United States, with 58,933 exposures reported to the Poison Control Centers in 2009. Two thirds of these events occurred in children younger than 5 years of age, reflecting exploratory ingestions in this age range. Most exposures are benign, although serious morbidity and mortality do occur. A regional poison center or a medical toxicologist can assist with patient treatment and potentially with plant identification. The regional poison control center should be contacted (800-222-1222) to discuss optimal management of all known or suspected poisonings. Pictured is a foxglove (Digitalis species), which contains cardioactive glycoside known to causes digitalis toxicity if ingested.
This is courtesy of Medscape Today, from WebMD it goes on to talk about this Story.

An 11-month-old child presents with oropharyngeal erosions and dysphagia after chewing the leaves of this common household plant. To what genus does this plant belong? Philodendron

In this particular case, esophageal erosions and stricture developed, followed by sudden death 17 days after exposure thought to be due to vagotonia secondary to the esophageal lesions.

Due to its common use as an ornamental houseplant, pediatric exploratory ingestions of Philodendron species are relatively common. The leaves of these plants contain raphides of oxalate, spindle-shaped crystals that cause mechanical irritation when chewed. Rarely, airway edema and obstruction may ensue. Ocular exposure causes pain, redness, and swelling. Other genera that share the philodendron's broad, showy leaves, raphides of oxalate, and clinical manifestations include Caladium, Dieffenbachia, and Spathiphyllum. Pictured on this page is Caladium bicolor.
There is a Slide show over at there sight, where that talk about Photodermatitis, Physostigmine, Antidigoxin Antibodies, Poison Hemlock, Toxicodendron, Ricinus, Holly Berries, Aconitum, Euphorbia pulcherrima, or Poinsettia, Phytolacca Americana, or Pokeweed, and much more. Like what happens when you come into contact, and true stories of those that have, and the conclusions of these incidents.

Now I will admit, I do have some of these in my back yard. I had NO Idea that they were dangerous. Now I know. You may have to sign up for this one, but it's FREE and it's worth it, for the knowledge you will gain. Be safe out there, and keep your Kids safe out there, by teaching THEM what they need to be cautious of.
Peter

Sources:
Medscape Today

No comments: