Sunday, February 25, 2007

Just My Thoughts Sunday, February 25, 2007

"I’ll Eat What I Want Two"

Hey folks,

In the I’ll eat what I want category, there is more news. Now remember the last time we talked about this on October 29, 2006 in the "JMT," I told you about curry. I told you about the new study that shows curry may help keep elderly minds sharp. Then I told you I cringe any time I hear things like this. I said,

So why do I cringe? Simple folks, this is today. Tomorrow? Curry may be found to be BAD for you. Look at Red Wine. One day it is good, then bad, then good.

Then We talked about coffee may become a Health drink.

Well that’s great news for me. My coffee at my side this morning "Butterscotch Toffee."{Today is Hazelnut. ‘Smile’} I understand and have seen the benefits of Curry. I love Curry. Been eating it since around 1982. I was talking to someone about this article I saw and they said, "Well, think about it. How often do you see an Indian {From India}, or an Island person in a long-term care facility, or with major heath issues. How often do you see overweight Filipinos or Asian folks? Their diets have a lot to do with it." I said, "You know you are right, but, if I said that though, I would most likely be deemed a racist." We both had a good laugh.

But my problem with all these "studies" comes from when these Scientists, Nutritionists, and so called "experts" start telling you things that have always been bad for you are now good for you.

You can even say vice versa. After avoiding these "bad foods" for years, now your told they are good. Now what is making the news? According to the USA Today, By Nanci Hellmich,

Artery-clogging trans fats are the villain of the moment in the enduring story of America's love affair with food.

New York and Philadelphia have moved to ban trans fats from restaurant foods, forcing chefs to find alternatives to the partially hydrogenated oils that have kept french fries tasty and pastries firm.

Big food companies are squeezing trans fats out of products from Oreos to Cheetos and rushing to find palatable substitute oils. Even Crisco has been reformulated so it's trans-fat free. Fast-food chains such as Wendy's and McDonald's have scrambled to figure out ways to cook fries without trans fats.

But WAIT!!!

Now, some nutrition and health analysts say the preoccupation with trans fats has gone too far.

They in essence are saying what’s the point if you are just replacing the trans fat with just as bad or worse other oils and fats. I used to love McD’s fries. I haven’t tried any of the new ones. But,

Robert Eckel, a former president of the American Heart Association, says that "getting rid of trans fats is important" because strong evidence indicates they contribute to higher levels of harmful cholesterol and heart disease. But, he says, "the idea that this is the most harmful (type of) fat is a matter of debate."


Matter of debate? So they do not even KNOW? I guess it’s like the "Global Warming" thing.

"The American Heart Association does not consider it acceptable to substitute saturated fat for trans fats" in food products and restaurant foods, Eckel says.

So the replacement could be worse. They just do not know. It goes on to talk about the companies that have changed. Some claim that their customers like the new taste better. But what about the long term effects? We just do not know yet. The last paragraph says it all. Shelley Goldberg of the International Food Information Council, said she worries that ,

"If we make these changes too quickly, we may put something else in that we don't know the long-term effects of, and it might be worse."

I remember growing up, my Grandmother used to cook all the time. The house always smelled like the delicious food that she made. What did SHE use to cook with? Either good old fashion butter, or Bacon Grease. Yup, Bacon Grease.

So I stick to my original statement. I’ll eat what I want. This is another example of the Government trying to get into people's personal lives. The Liberal templet of "We know what is best for you, and you will do as we say." Laws being created because they say so, science named as the reason, yet, reality is, they have no idea.
Peter

Source:
USA TODAY- Trans fats are not the only villain in American diets

No comments: