Friday, May 05, 2006

The Words of an Immigrant.

Hey folks,

Bear with me for just a few more. I HAVE to share. If you have noticed, the main stream media has moved on. That’s right. They are now helping the Left pick out their furniture for their new offices in government. The ILLEGAL immigrants? Well, the protests FAILED miserably. No cities were shut down. Their contributions to the economy wasn’t missed all that much. More and more people are against them. SO? The media has moved on. But while this was THE topic, I gave a call out to ANY immigrant legal or illegal, to tell their views on this. Well, someone did. The following is what Dee said. This was posted on 4/30/06 on at 1:12 am over at http://www.newstimeslive.com/

My folks LEGALLY immigrated here. It wasn’t easy. They landed in Danbury, knew no English, had very little money….no family, friends, NOTHING. We lived in a rat and cockroach infested cold water flat but didn’t complain. Every night Pop would make sandwiches with rat poison and place one under the sink, in the pantry, etc. In the morning, it was my job to collect dead rats and dispose of them.

I didn’t know a word of English when I started 1st grade at St Joe’s….and the "Sisters of Mercy" had little mercy. At the time, I thought they were cruel….but funny thing…I learned English quick.

Supper time was sharing time….we kids not only taught our folks English, but also how to read and write in English.Welfare programs were available, but not for us….our Pop wouldn’t have any of it. He had great pride. We all worked…..even us kids. My brothers shined shoes, my sister washed dishes at the convent, I ran errands for Wixted’s Pharmacy on White Street, filled kerosene and oil bottles from tanks located behind tenements on White Street and carried them up 2 or 3 floors for the tenants. Every coin went into an empty tobacco can that had a picture of a house, trees and grass….pasted on the front. Each time it filled up, Pop would take it to the bank and put it in savings.

By the time I was 8, we had enough money to put a down payment on a new house…and we were thrilled the day we moved in. The neighbors weren’t…..they actually seemed afraid of us. This was no big deal….we were used to being treated like half-humans….I can laugh now….but back then, it was tough. But once we settled in and everyone got to know us, everything improved.

One of the first things Pop bought for the house was an American flag, and he displayed it every day….not just on holidays.

He was a strict father, and pushed us to do the best we could….in school, work, regardless. My brothers earned full sports scholarships to college. My sister became a nurse. He felt just being in the USA was opportunity enough to get ahead….and he hated any government program that "offered help" just because you were a minority or in our case: Hispanic. He never believed in "free handouts"….and he drilled in us: Nothing is free, you have to earn it.

Our Pop was a proud American…..he never once referred to himself as a "Spanish-American". He loved the USA, learned English, became a citizen, encouraged his sons to join the military….and they served with honor…..and Pop died a proud American. This coming Monday would have been his birthday…..when hundreds of thousands illegals will protest again….for rights they DON’T deserve and haven’t earned.

I’m glad Pop won’t have to hear the trashy latina version of our National Anthem.

You see folks, this is not just my opinion. This is a slap in people like Dee’s face. Calling this a "civil rights" movement, is a slap in the face of EVERY Black person in this country. Changing the National Anthem is a slap in the face of ever American. If you see that or not is not the point. Doesn’t change this of being a fact.

I say this one more time, I do NOT want mass deportation. I do not want them charged with felonies. I want our boarders secured so we do not have to keep dealing with this. I want those that want to be citizens, to be citizens, by going through the process. Period.
Peter

2 comments:

brando said...

Rock on. It's hard for white folks to talk about it without sounding racist, so we have to shut up. In the Marines I served with quite a few immigrants. We had the best platoon in the BN, and our plt commander was born in Mexico. We had a guy from Liberia that set the pull-up record for infantry school, and a guy from Poland that saved the whole squad from a suicide car bomb. If you deploy in the military, you automatically earn citizenship.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone in my squad was more American than a lot of these jokers that run their mouths.

Thanks, for listening to me run my yapper for a sec.

Peter said...

Hey Brando,

First and foremost, THANK YOU. Thank you Sir for serving our country. Thank you Sir for being one of the reasons these "jokers" CAN run their mouths.

Feel free to comment anytime.