Wednesday, January 23, 2008

To Answer A Question

The Death Penalty

Hey folks,

Yes I could talk about Clinton and Obama slugging it out. Just really don’t feel like it. There is not a bit of difference between the two. Neither have experience. Both will lie cheat and steel to get want they want. It really does not interest me right this second. After one of two more primaries, then we will see. I guess the “Truce” never really had a chance huh?

I could talk about how it truly saddens me that Fred Thomson dropped out. Perhaps the only TRUE and FULL Conservative in the race. I really think it was errors in judgement on his part that lead to this poor showing. He got in late. Got off to a slow start, and perhaps did not really attempt to get his message out. If he came out of the gate like he was during that one debate, I think things would look a GREAT DEAL different today.

I could talk about actor Heath Ledger being found dead Tuesday in a Manhattan apartment, in bed, with prescription sleeping pills nearby. No signs of foul play. Police are investigating. Everyone else is talking about that. God Speed Mr. Ledger, and may his family have peace.

I could talk about the economy and what some are calling a new recession. A “Market Meltdown” as some like the AP are calling it. But I do not believe we are there yet. I do not believe it’s that bad yet. We’ll see.

Let’s see, what else could we talk about. Oh I see some are starting up the whole Jenna 6 thing again. {Sigh} Talked about that enough.

I could talk about all the pork that is being thrown in the “Stimulus Bill”with hopes that the fears of the American people and the eagerness of Congress and even the President to pass it will get it through. How lobbyists on both sides are taking advantage of this scary {To Some} situation.

Oh hey, look at this, From AFP - World powers agree on UN resolution on Iran: Germany

World powers reached agreement Tuesday on a new UN Security Council resolution against Iran over its disputed nuclear programme, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said.

"We agreed on the content of the next Security Council resolution," Steinmeier said after the meeting in Berlin of foreign ministers from the five permanent members of the Security Council -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States -- plus Germany.

You already know what and how I feel about that. Can you tell I’m in a bit of a funk today?

I could talk about THIS bunch of bunk. Get this. Did you know that it’s “No-Name Calling” Week? Get this.

Aimed at grades 5-8 with additional lesson plans for earlier grades, No Name-Calling Week is an annual week of educational activities aimed at ending name-calling of all kinds and providing schools with the tools and inspiration to launch an on-going dialogue about ways to eliminate bullying in their communities.

"Name-calling and bullying begin to take hold as an everyday experience in elementary and middle school," said Dr. Eliza Byard, GLSEN's Interim Executive Director. "No Name-Calling Week is an opportunity for schools to address the problem in a proactive, educational manner. Far too many students know how important a week like No Name-Calling Week really is."

Of course you DO know who GLSEN IS don’t you?

How about making sure that they can READ and WRITE when they graduate? There’s a novel concept.

OK folks, I’m done with all that today. I do want to answer a question that someone asked me recently in a debate I was having with them. They KNOW I was very Pro-Death Penalty at one time and was wondering why I was not calling for the head of someone, who may very well deserve it. Because I have gotten this question on and off for a while, and since I really do not feel much like talking about anything else, let's talk about that. Then I see this article. I figure, why not. Why not try to answer the question publicly. Just in case some of you out there are wondering the same thing.

Now I’ve told the story before. I WAS very much for the death Penalty. I did and still feel that it is even, not only OK, but set up by God Himself. He set up a trial by Jury system that we copied. I did, and still do understand the difference in Killing, and Murder. But it was during a debate with a friend of mine, Rev. Jim Bridges, that changed my opinion. Now Rev. Jim, is without a doubt, a card carrying member of the LWL. He is as Liberal as you can get. We will never see eye to eye on much of anything. But over the years, and many “bloody” battles, we have come to respect and even truly like each other. We have mutual respect. But it was he that changed my mind on the CURRENT form of the Death Penalty.

This article printed yesterday by the AP is a perfect example of why. AP - DNA frees Colo. man convicted of murder By P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press WriterTue Jan 22, 3:47 PM ET

Timothy Masters walked out of court a free man for the first time in nearly a decade Tuesday, his murder conviction wiped out by DNA evidence that points to another suspect.

Masters, 36, who was sentenced to life in prison in 1999, was ordered freed on a personal recognizance bond by Larimer County District Judge Joseph Weatherby. Prosecutors promised to decide quickly whether to try him again.

New tests announced last week showed DNA found on the victim's clothing was not from Masters but from someone else.

Applause broke out in the courtroom as the hearing ended, but Masters showed little emotion as he hugged members of his defense team.

Later, he went before reporters and thanked his family and friends.

"Without their support, I don't know if I could have made it through this," he said.

Asked what he would do next, he said: "I want to go see my family."

In 1987, the manager at a woman's clothing store was found stabbed and sexually mutilated in a field south of Fort Collins, but police investigated for more than a decade before arresting Masters. He was 15 at the time the woman died and lived near the field where her body was found.

Masters' new attorneys have said detectives wrongly focused on Masters instead of other suspects.

During recent appeals, both the defense and special prosecutors assigned to the case said crucial information was withheld from Masters' trial lawyers.

Larimer County District Attorney Larry Abrahamson — who was not the DA when Masters was convicted — defended the court system Tuesday.

"It is not, in any way, an indictment of the criminal justice system," he said of the case. "It just means we have new evidence and we have to take a look at it."

But you see, it IS an indictment on the criminal justice system. “It is no longer right and wrong anymore. It is who tells the better story. It is who has the money for the best lawyers. It really is a show. If you can not dazzle them with piazzas, then you baffle them with Bullshit.” You know who said that to me? I personal friend of mine in NY, who just happens to be the Town Justice.

Look at recent high profile cases. Or not even so high profile cases. If YOU got caught DWI, what would happen? Two, three times? What about if YOU were caught with drugs? What would happen? What if YOU murdered someone?

But we see on a daily bases those with money and fame, can do whatever they want. Get sentence to jail serve a day, or maybe just hours. Get arrest for murder? Well we know what happened in one case there. Get caught burglarizing a FEDERAL Building? Go back to work for the Clintons. YOU? You get the point.

So yes, I AM against the Death Penalty in it’s current form. Unless you walk into someplace and start killing people, there are more than one reliable witness or a video tape of you doing it, I have doubts. We see cases like Mr. Masters more and more. DNA has freed quiet a few people.

So until we fix the Justice System, I will remain against it. Now back to our regular scheduled News. {Smile} Have a great day, see you tomorrow.
Peter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always been against the death penalty, just as I’m against the killing of anyone.
Even when the state executes someone it’s still murder. The State doesn’t kill anyone in an execution. What happens is that some other person is hired to do it. It takes another person to , pull the switch, inject the poison or pull the lever on the trap door; called a hangman or executioner if you like.

The last thing the citizens of a country should do is trust the government to kill anyone, when they can barely deliver the mail, secure our borders, or hang on to our savings (Social Security) to mention a few. The obligation of our government is to protect its citizens from those who do harm to them. Not exterminate those citizens that they (the government) thinks needs killing.

The government should be the leader in ‘thou shall not kill’ not promoting it with its own bloody hands.

Maybe we need to rewrite the Ten Commandments to:
Thou shall not kill, except if you are a hired killer from the State of
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming

And let us not forget the U.S. Government

Peter said...

Hey Doug,

I'm out of time right now, but I WILL comment as soon as I can. I agree with you, but I do just want to further explain what I meant about the difference in Killing and Murder.

Talk to you soon.
Peter

Unknown said...

Pete on this one I have to disagree with you.
In order to protect the people of the US the death penalty is necessary.
Life in prison only works if it is truly life but the way laws change some murderers can be out in just a few years.
As far as Rev. Jim Bridges goes he's so far left he's almost right.
Anyone that talks of human rights of the terrorists and ignores the right of the people of the US to live without fear of another 911 is an enemy of the US.
I should know. I duke it out with Jim all the time in the News Times group.

Peter said...

Hey Bill,

I hear you. I really do. I was pro-Death Penalty just about my whole like. You know, I think I'm going to get into this in more detail this Weekend. I may even open it for discussion elsewhere to see what happens.

I understand both sides. I still feel that if someone goes out there, commits murder against innocent people, they should loss their life. BUT, big but, I KNOW that innocent people are arrested on a daily bases in this country. I will talk about my OLD argument about that, and the new way I see this issue.

AS far as Rev Jim goes, I know. You KNOW I know. I already said he is a card carrying member of the LWL. {Smile}

Talk you you soon.
Peter

Peter said...

Sorry, make that LOSE their life. It's early. {Smile}