Tuesday, October 02, 2007

McCain In Trouble For Telling The Truth

Hey folks,

Happy Tuesday to you. I am NOT going to vote for him. Ever. I do not agree with a lot of his policy ideas. However, I have no problem with what he said.

Senator John McCain simply told the truth during an interview posted on Belienfnet.com .

Question: Has the candidates’ personal faith become too big an issue in the presidential race?

McCain: Questions about that are very legitimate.... And it's also appropriate for me at certain points in the conversation to say, look, that's sort of a private matter between me and my Creator.... But I think the number one issue people should make [in the] selection of the President of the United States is, 'Will this person carry on in the Judeo Christian principled tradition that has made this nation the greatest experiment in the history of mankind?'"

This is the truth. But some seem unhappy with that.

Question: It doesn't seem like a Muslim candidate would do very well, according to that standard.

McCain: I admire the Islam. There's a lot of good principles in it. I think one of the great tragedies of the 21st century is that these forces of evil have perverted what's basically an honorable religion. But, no, I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles.... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith. But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president. I don't say that we would rule out under any circumstances someone of a different faith. I just would--I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead.

They do not like THIS answer either.

A little bit later, he elaborated a bit on his believe of this country being founded on Judeo Christian principles, while answering a question about Iraq. He said this.

McCain: On the issue of the war in Iraq and the conduct of it and President Bush's public statements about it, let me just go back. We were founded as a nation on Judeo-Christian principles. There's very little debate about that. And I think the noblest words ever written are, "We hold these truths to be self evident that all, all people are created equal and endowed by their Creator."

So if you believe in that fundamental principle, then of course you believe in the desirability and the attractiveness of helping bring to those God-given rights to people all over the earth. What has happened, though, throughout our history is a tension between realpolitik and Wilsonian principles…. [which are] clearly defined in "We are endowed by our Creator." But realpolitik says that if you overstretch, if you go places you shouldn't go, then the penalty you pay is higher than anything you might have hoped to have gained.

So, that's the tension, and it's good that it's there. So, do I believe that Iraq is an object lesson? Not as much as others do because after the initial victory, if we'd have handled it right, everybody would be happy with Iraq today because Saddam Hussein is gone and they have a country that's functioning.

The problem is, we mishandled it terribly. I do agree and most people do - we're a shining city on a hill. Has that shining city been dimmed and tarnished by our reputation in the world today? Of course, of course it has been. But, I still believe we have that role and mission to fulfill in the world.

This answer they like, but I think they misunderstood it.

Question:A lot of Republican activists say the separation of church and state is a myth. What do you think?

McCain: Our Founding Fathers believed in separation of church and state and they stated it unequivocally. But, they also continued to emphasize the Christian principle. In God We Trust or [all men are] created equal—every statement that they made had to do with the belief in a Divine Creator… They sought guidance from their Creator. So, when some people interpret their desire for separation of church and state as a failure to acknowledge the importance and influence of our Creator, I think that they have a different view of history than I do.

He is right here as well. First, as I have said COUNTLESS times, that phrase is not even IN the Constitution. It was taken out of a private letter from Thomas Jefferson, and taken out of context. The Clause they attribute to is this.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

CLEARLY it says that the FEDERAL Government shall not create laws ESTABLISHING a religion. In other words, as in England, the Founding Fathers did not want a national Church. Hence the follow up, or “prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” In other words, we as the people of the United States, have the RIGHT to practice our faith whenever and where ever we chose. We are protected from others HINDERING it, or prohibiting it.

So who is the “they” I keep talking about? The Liberal and anti-Christian group ADL {The Anti-Defamation League}

The ADL urged Senator John McCain to reconsider and withdraw his statements yestderday, describing the United States as a "Christian nation" and a "nation founded on Christian principles." Notice he ACTUALLY said “Judeo Christian principles.” But according to Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director,

"Senator McCain's statements were disappointing and disturbing to say the least. We would have thought that a senator as experienced and respected as John McCain would place himself above such divisive appeals to religious intolerance. His remarks were inaccurate and ill-advised for any candidate seeking to lead a nation as religiously diverse as ours."

To bad the ADL is completely wrong on this. In their letter to him, the ADL complimented him on his “Separation” statement but went on to say this.

"Absolutely nothing in the Constitution establishes that the U.S. is a Christian nation, nor is it accurate to say that this nation was founded on Christian principles."

Wrong. These people really need to learn history. According to them,

"Appeals to voters based on religion are invariably divisive and contrary to the democratic ideals upon which our nation was truly founded.”

We fled religious oppression. We WERE founded on Judeo Christian principles. Our laws are fashioned as such as well. The Founding Fathers were active members of their churches, they clearly talked about faith in the Creator all throughout history. Some may not like this, doesn’t change the FACTS.

Like I said, I do not care for McCain that much. I would never vote for him. But at the same time, he is right here. I hope he stands up for what he said. I hope that is what he truly believes.
Peter

Sources
Office of the ADL
Belienfnet.com-John McCain: Constitution Established a 'Christian Nation'
Cornell University Law School- U.S.Constitution

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Faith shouldn't have a damn thing to do with it.
In fact any candidate that keeps spouting his or her faith would lose my vote.
Separation of church and state is what it's all about.

Peter said...

Hey Bill,

I understand what you are saying. I agree that the President's faith should not really play a major part in our decision on who to elect. I REALLY am starting to like Mit, although I'm not too keen on some of the Mormon beliefs.

I LOVE Lieberman, although I'm not Jewish. I would have no problem voting for a Catholic, even though I have some MAJOR problems with their traditions.

All I want is someone that has a sense of morals, and knows right from wrong. Is willing to, and shows me that they can make the tough decisions. They will have my vote.
Peter

samspade said...

Right now I would have a problem with a Muslim in a position of authority because from what I have seen so far is once elected or placed in the position all of a sudden American values go right out the window and are replaced with talk of replacing them with Muslim values.

Peter said...

Yeah I agree with you Sam,

See comment that Heidi left about her Muslim friends.
Peter