Sunday, October 28, 2007

Had A Great Time

Hey folks,

Happy Sunday to you. I had a great time yesterday. I went to “Mangia.” An all day Asia Fantasia hosted by the Blake Library here in Martin Country Florida. I got to meet and spent time with the following people.

Grace Young - Young has been featured in the New York Times, on CBS Sunday Morning, Good Morning America, CBS the Early Show, Cooking Live With Sara Moulton, B Smith with style, Seasonings, Home Cooking, Discovery Channel’s Home Matters. She is an author and a top recognized Wok expert.

She gave a lecture and demonstration on the proper care and usage of Woks. I love to cook. Cook all the time. Just stated using Woks, and found this VERY interesting. I even got a chance to spend some time with Mrs. Young after. She also is the author of “The Wisdom of The Chinese Kitchen” and her latest “The Breath of a Wok: Unlocking the Spirit of Chinese Wok Cooking.” I encourage any of you, if you love cooking like I do, go get her books. They can be found at any major Bookstores.

Then there was the Benihana of Stuart demo of the art of making Sushi.

Then I got to meet a VERY unique artist. One I enjoyed the demonstration, and even more, getting to spend some time with after, Candy Miyuki from Japan. Folks, This is a little lady. About 4 11 with a box. Inside the box is 200 degree candy dough. She takes out these balls with her bare hands, and has 2 minutes to form any animal that you can imagine. Using just her little hands and a pair of sheers. I stood in aw watching her do this. Every animal was PERFECT! The Monkey even had bananas.

After the demo, I got to stand by and watch as she made these candies for some kids in the lobby. She even made me my favorite animal, a Giraffe. Don’t ask, I have no idea. Always has been my favorite. You would not ever meet such a sweet and kind soul as Miyuki. That was truly an experience I will not soon forget.

Then up on stage was Cheryl Friend talking about bamboo.

Then Cheryl Friend and Pat Lawson, joined by others gave Tai Chi demos.

The last guest, one I have much respect for, Mrs. Chieko Mihori. You can go, certain times a year, to the Morikami Museum and meet her. You can even experience a real Japanese Tea Ceremony.

Spending time with these guests, and food EVERYWHERE you looked, the music, the spirit that was there, folks, I’m telling you the truth, I HAD A GREAT TIME. Hats off to the Blake Library, and the “Friends of the Blake Library” for putting this together. Early indications is that next year, they will be doing a New Orleans theme. I CAN’T WAIT. I have never been to the Blake Library for anything before yesterday, but I guarantee you this, I will be back. If you are in or around Martin country this time next year, you might want to check it out as well. You will not regret it.
Peter

No comments: