Friday, March 02, 2007

My Condolences To The Tornado Victims and Families

Hey folks,

First I want to wish my condolences to those families in those states that have lost loved ones due to all the tornado activity yesterday. Depending on which news out let you read, see, or hear, the death toll ranges from 11 to 19. I wish these families noting by peace and comfort in their time of need. According to the AP last night,


ENTERPRISE, Ala. - Tornadoes ripped through Alabama and killed at least 18 people Thursday, including 15 at a high school where students became pinned under debris when a roof collapsed, state officials said. As night fell, crews dug through piles of rubble beneath portable lights at Enterprise High School, looking for other victims.

"The number could very well increase as the search effort continues through the night," state emergency management spokeswoman Yasamie Richardson said.

The burst of tornadoes was part of a larger line of thunderstorms and snowstorms that stretched from Minnesota to the Gulf Coast. Authorities blamed a tornado for the death of a 7-year-old girl in Missouri, and twisters also were reported in Kansas.

The storm struck at the high school around 1:15 p.m., and Richardson said some students were still trapped three hours later. Erin Garcia, a 17-year-old senior, said students had gathered in hallways around 11 a.m. as a precaution. School officials wanted to send them home around 1 p.m., she said, but the weather turned bad and sirens wailed.

Now I know this is an on going story. The search is continuing even as we speak. This morning the AP is reporting 11, others 16-19. Last night the above article said 18. In time we will have the actual number, but make no mistake about it, for that family of the 7 year old girl in Missouri, the final number means nothing to them. Nothing will bring back their little girl.

I’ve had the "pleasure" to go through two tornadoes in my time. One was when I was a kid, the other was the big tornado out break in November 1989. I was working in security in Newburgh NY when a Tornado knocked down The East Coldenham Elementary School cafeteria wall, killing nine students and injuring 18 others.

I saw the bodies being carried out. I watched the grief of the families and saw the long term effects. One of the Fathers even got a tattoo of his Daughter in remembrance of his loss. So I DO understand the devastating effects this has. Even the rescue workers were changed forever.

You can read about the tornado outbreak including a F4 hitting Huntsville Alabama, here. a F5 is said to be "The Finger Of God." Nothing could stand up to that, and this one was just one below.

I was going to talk about this Australian terrorist suspect that is complaining about abuse and the Mass Media salivating over the story, but, I think I’ll talk about that later or tomorrow. I think I’ll stick to my condolences and just say to those that died, God Speed to you. May the families have peace in their time of need.
Peter


Sources:
AP-Tornadoes rip through Ala., killing 18
Wikipedia

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Boy they were some bad ones.
It's a shame those poor people were killed
The tornadoes just missed us here in Hartwell GA.

Peter said...

Hey Irishgodfather

I agree with you. It was devastating. One of those moments in time that change you forever. This is why I took the time, having been through it, to wish my condolences to, not only the families of lost loved ones, but the rescue workers themselves. This will be something that will be in their minds forever.

Glad to hear that they missed you, and all is well.
Peter