Saturday, December 02, 2006

Just My Thoughts Saturday December 2, 2006

"Modesty?"

Hey folks,


OK I know I’m going to be considered old fashion, a prude, or whatever. But, what ever happened to modesty? Now I’ve talked about this in the past, and I told the story of the two girls that came to my house back when I was single, asking if "there was anything they could do for me? To get money to go to the store." I’ve wondered where the parents were when these two girls left their house. Due to the fact they were, uh, barely dressed, to say the least.

Now I know what the current styles are. I have a 15 year old Niece and 15 year old "Adopted" Daughter. I get it. I’ve seen it. Skin tight painted on pants. Micro miniskirts, more like a band-aid. along with some plunging necklines. A lot of the belly shirts have gone away, but what was short on the bottom is now sort on top. But is there no limits?

I was at someone’s house yesterday, attempting to help them with a situation they were having. We were outside when the phone rang and they went in to answer it. So I’m working away to help them when this very beautiful girl came over to me from nowhere. She asked me the standard, "watchful neighbor" questions. "Hi, who are you and why are you here? What are you doing?" You see, she never seen me before. I give her credit for being a concerned neighbor.

So I explained to her why I was there. She said, "Oh, OK." I’m "so and so." Lets say "Jane."I said hello and told her my name is Pete. I then started to notice her outfit. She was wearing the standard painted on jeans, and a sky blue, partly see through, low cut top. Had some kind of writing on it.

She then proceeded to start talking to me. And talking, and talking. You get the point. So I listened and went back to work with the occasional "Aha, Mmm, OK, Yup." She then tapped me on the shoulder, apparently I wasn’t paying close enough attention to her at that moment, and there was an important point coming. So I looked over at her.

OK folks, I’m on one knee. She is standing to my left, bending over to talk to me. YUP! You got it. I got quite the view. Absolutely no bra. She continued to stand in that position talking. I stood up because I could no longer concentrate. Just then, THANKFULLY, the person I was helping came back out. It was hugs and "heys." The person I was helping then officially introduced us. "I see you met Jane. She’s my neighbor’s Daughter." I proceeded to tell the person that she was a good security person and said how she was watching out . The person said, "Yeah, not bad {Security thing} for a twelve year old. Uh?" Yes you read correctly. TWELVE!

Now I understand it’s not really the kids fault. They are bombarded daily by MTV, VHI, TV, movies. Now we have Brittany running around with no underwear. Wait until Twelve year olds start taking off their underwear in school. Then you have Merchandisers like Abercombie and Fitch, peers, ETC. I understand that instead of teaching modesty, we pass out condoms in schools. I get the fact it’s a different time. It used to be cool to hold hands, now it making out, sitting on laps, grabbing and playing. Oh, thanks Mr. President, oral sex is no longer sex. But WHERE are the PARENTS? They wonder why our kids disappear.

Moments like these, make me happy I have a Son. I have enough to worry about with my Niece and Miss Elizabeth. You DID see Miss Elizabeth at the OPNTALK Photobucket right? Have the tight cloths. Even the low necklines. But could our kids AT LEAST where underwear? Seriously. Modesty is not a dirty word.
Peter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

for the record: Elizabeth is VERY modest compared to most of her peer group. She is wearing tighter clothes than you are used to seeing her in but I dare you to show me one example of her wearing anything like the girl you spoke of.Yes she is well developed so things appear tighter on her but,Pete, as I read this post I took some offense. You know as well as I do that what you ( or anyone) are thinking at the time of writting is not always portayed that way in print. Please clarify that you were NOT talking of my daughter that way. Maybe this is mama hen syndrome or maybe you forgot to add a comment to specify Elizabeth does not and would not dress that way?
I don't know which but please clarify for me.
Thanks,
We gotta go to a damn holiday parade and find a f**king parking spot,downtown on a saturday when everyone else in town is trying to get to the same parking spot before we get there.FUN!!!!!!
Bethany

Peter said...

Hey Bethany,


Sorry again {Laughing} Let me clarify. NO! I did not mean to say the Miss Elizabeth dresses as I described. I know that she knows one of us would kill,,,,, WAIT!! Make that give her a hard time {For those who need a little extra help in understanding} for wearing such. What I was referring to as far as she goes, was the fact of how beautiful she is and the fact that when you couple that with young raging male hormones, we have that to worry about without her dressing as these other girls.

I know for a fact that if she EVER was to leave the house dress as such, you would ground her for life, or at least until 18.{Smile} No, she is a good girl. I was trying to convey my relief due to that fact. I love Miss Elizabeth due to who she is, and know that you have done a great job in shaping her in the ways she should go. The way you did that could be an interesting study in of itself. The freedom she is granted has given her the freedom to make the right choices. But we would need to talk before I would ever expound on that topic.

So let the record show that I’m officially clarifying that I was NOT lumping Elizabeth together with others. But the exact opposite.

Good luck with the party and parade thing.
Pete

Anonymous said...

thank you. and this kid does have freedom but it is well earned. don't ya think?