Sunday, December 17, 2006

"JMT" Saturday, December 16, 2006

"Santa"

Hey folks,

First, I apologize for my absence the last two days. You do not feel it coming, it just hits you. Just about my whole family got it all at once. For those who are concerned, my Niece is doing a little better today. Hopefully all is well with her soon as well. Thank you for your well wishes and prayers.

So, let’s talk about Santa. This is a concept that I never knew, never even thought would be an issue with me. I grew up like so many others in the fact I believed in Santa. I remember fondly, of the milk and cookies out at night. I remember looking out the window waiting and hoping to catch a glimpse of the jolly red fellow. I remember almost hearing the reindeer walking on the roof. I remember not being able to sleep Christmas eve, and the MAGIC of Christmas morning.

I also remember going to Sunday school, church plays, "The Reason For the Season." {I was Joseph} I remember being taught that this is the day the world has set aside to honor Jesus coming to earth, to die for my sins.

Then I would go home and start the prior routine. Where I watched the Christmas specials from Rudolph, Frosty, to good old Charlie Brown. STILL waiting for Santa.

So I said when I got a little older, I cannot wait until I can be Santa to my kids. But NOW? Now that I have a Son, I am having a conflict in myself as to whether I SHOULD. Since he is only 18 months old, I figured, I got time to figure it out. But then I see this story,

WCBS 2 NY- "Santa Look-A-Like Gets In Trouble At Disney World"

"(CBS) ORLANDO, Fla. A strange case of mistaken identity has left a Florida man shaking his head after the man, who resembles Santa Claus, got into trouble at Walt Disney World, CBS affiliate WFOR-TV reports.

The whole mess began when a group of excited children created a scene at Disney World after they confused 60-year old J.D. Worley with St. Nick himself.

The rotund, white bearded man graciously played along with the dreamy-eyed kids, and that, he says, sparked problems with the Orlando theme park management."

Now do not get me wrong. I think this guy did nothing wrong. He most likely gets this all the time, so what is so bad about making some kids day? But Disney would have NOTHING to do with that. {They cannot make any money with him} so they told him to stop. Now,

"Disney states it's not because he looks like Santa but because Worley said he was Santa to the children who asked him.

Worley claims Disney officials asked him to alter his appearance so he took off his red hat. However, Worley said he can't help looking like the Santa. "I look this way 24/7, 365 days a year," he explained. "This is me.""

STOP!!! DISNEY TOLD HIM TO ALTER HIS APPEARANCE!!!! Are you kidding me? According to this story,

"Worley still loves Disney and Christmas but says he left the happiest place on earth, a little sad.

A Disney spokesman says the park was just trying to protect the magic of Santa."

If you ask me, he was adding to the magic of Santa. Here are kids on vacation, having fun, and all of a sudden, "There’s Santa." What was wrong with him playing along? Nothing.

So this got me thinking about my quandary again. What do I do with Joshua. Now you folks know, for the lack of a better term, I’m a "Christian." I believe in Jesus the Christ, God, and the plan of Salvation. No doubt about it. You can tell by some of the things I write about. As a matter of fact, next weeks "JMT" {Just My Thoughts} will most likely be about the reason of Christmas.

But what about the magic of Santa? Some in the religion sector denounce the whole thing. They will tell you "Oh great, so you want to start off your kids lives by lying to them." Then, you have those outside them saying, "What’s wrong with it? It’s just fun and games." Then you have even more people who ACTUALLY still believe in Santa "The ‘Spirit’ of Santa."

So as you can see, I have some things to think about. Does it have to be one or the other? Do I have to chose? Or is there a balance between the magic of Santa, and the faith of Jesus?
Peter

No comments: