Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving

I give thanks Daily.

Hey folks,

In just two days, Day after tomorrow, I will be enjoying my Favorite Holiday. Every time I say this, someone usually asks me, "What about Christmas?" Well, Christmas, or at least the day we have all set aside to recognize the Birth Of our Lord Jesus, is one of the most important days in History. It is a HOLY day. Some would argue which is more important, the Birth of Jesus, or the Celebration of His Resurrection, AKA Easter? Valid arguments both. But NEITHER day is a Holiday.

We have turned BOTH into Holidays, and we have given them the same status as the Fourth of July, Valentine's Day, or even MLK Day. Most see it as an extended Weekend or a Free Day Off. Some have gotten so into the Marketing of Christmas, Trees, Lights, Gift Giving, that they do not even remember the Reason for the Season.

So looking at Christmas as a Holiday, think about it. Right after you take your kids Trick or Treating, go into Wal-Mart, the Mall, whatever, "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells" can be heard over head. Sales start popping up all over the place.

Right after Thanksgiving? Black Friday. Insanity occurs. Then after Millions of Dollars spent, madness ensuing, TV Specials Airing, Christmas Morning comes. With in 10 minutes? It's all over. Done. Garbage to Pick up. New Toys in boxes stacked in a corner. One or two toys will EVER be played with. Other Gifts are set to be returned. On to next year.

No folks, Thanksgiving IS my Favorite Holiday. Friends, Family, Food. All that Food. I can smell it now. Every Thanksgiving, thoughts of Childhood fill my mind. Grandma cooking all day. The BIG Table that was set with more food than you could possibly eat. My Grandmother making a few Plates for some in town that could not make it. Me and my friend Billy going out to deliver them. Best times of my Life.

So this week I'm concentrating on THIS. Getting ready for my Favorite Holiday. Tomorrow I will Post something Special and of course, Thanksgiving itself, I will Post what I'm Thankful for and wish you all a VERY Happy Thanksgiving.

But Fret Not, we WILL return to a "Normal Schedule" Next Week. Take care my friends. Be Safe, Be Well, and Be Happy. No matter what you have going on in your Life right now, you DO have a lot to be thankful for. Trust me.
Peter

No comments: