Sunday, January 24, 2010

COPD, Emphysema, Smoking, Me

Health and Science for Sunday 012410

Hey folks,

OK. You know me. So I have now been told I have COPD, and the early stages of Emphysema. So what does that all mean? Well, of course it means I'm quiting Smoking. It means that according to most of the information out there, I'm not going to get better. But what IS it? I have heard of COPD, but what is it?

What Is COPD?

COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary (PULL-mun-ary) disease, is a progressive disease that makes it hard to breathe. "Progressive" means the disease gets worse over time.

COPD can cause coughing that produces large amounts of mucus (a slimy substance), wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and other symptoms.


All of which I have and is what brought me back to the Doctors in the first place.

Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of COPD. Most people who have COPD smoke or used to smoke. Long-term exposure to other lung irritants, such as air pollution, chemical fumes, or dust, also may contribute to COPD.

No known cure, just gets worse. I'm not so sure I'm ready to accept that. So?

What is Emphysema?

Emphysema is a chronic lung condition that is a major cause of death and disability in the United States. Two million Americans are affected, largely those who are over age 50. With emphysema, breathing becomes difficult as the fine architecture of the lung is destroyed, leading to large holes in the lung, obstruction of the airways, trapping of air, and difficulty exchanging oxygen because of reduced elasticity of the lungs.

In the United States, cigarette smoking is by far the most important risk factor for emphysema. Emphysema costs more than $2.5 billion in annual health care expenses and causes or contributes to 100,000 deaths in the U.S. each year.

Current medical treatments include smoking cessation for those who still smoke, exercise rehabilitation, oxygen therapy for those with low blood oxygen levels, supportive and preventive measures such as flu shots, pneumonia vaccine, medications such as bronchodilators to help open airways, prompt treatment of respiratory infections, and lung transplantation.

Emphysema is one form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) -- a slowly progressive disease of the airways that is characterized by a gradual loss of lung function. Chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive bronchitis, or a combination of these conditions with emphysema also are forms of COPD. COPD is the fourth most common and the most rapidly increasing cause of death in the United States.


So now it is all starting to make sense to me. They seem to go hand in hand. Here is one thing that I'm interested in learning more about.

What is Lung Volume Reduction Surgery?

In patients with emphysema, the walls between the tiny air sacs in the lungs are damaged. While healthy lungs expand with each inhalation and collapse with each exhalation, helping to move air in and out -- lungs damaged by emphysema gradually lose their elasticity, becoming floppy and over-expanded like a spent rubber band. The airways, normally held open by the elastic pull of the lungs, also become floppy and collapse on exhalation. As a result, patients with emphysema have increasing difficulty moving air in and out of their lungs.

In lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS), the size of the lungs is reduced. The theory underlying the surgery is that reducing the lung size will pull open the airways and allow the breathing muscles to return to a more normal and comfortable position, making breathing easier.

Now I have also heard that this type of surgery is only offered to people who have basically become disabled all together. I do not want to end up there. So here is what my game plan is.

First and foremost, Pray.
Second , quit smoking.
Third, Get back into the gym. Do whatever I can to stay active.
Forth, Continue to look for natural sources that will help cleanse me.

Now I know many want to blame Big Tobacco. I blame the Government for FORCING Big Tobacco to add Carpet Glue to Cigarettes to make them "Fire Safe." We have talked about that in the past. Yet, I blame myself the most. I knew, and know, that smoking is bad for me. No one forced me to go buy the Cigarettes. No one forced them in my mouth. No one forcibly lit them and forced me to in hale. I did these things. I'm the number one person to blame. It is what it is.

Now as I look to the future, I find myself looking toward the past. Remembering what I was first hand witness to with my Father, and also my Uncle. This is not something I want Josh to see. Time for a change, and only I can change it. May I have the strength to do whatever it will take to change the course I'm on. May God forgive me for my Sins. May Josh never light a Cigarette. May this experience I am going through now, help someone else from avoiding it all together.
Peter

1 comment:

ellen said...

good info, Peter. A "heads-up", if you have asthma along w/copd-emphysema, as i do, lvrs is not an option. Prayer, exercise, quit smoking, but most of all - Prayer. So far, it has had the most benefit.