Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Complete System Crash, Apologies for Absence

My sincere Apologies

Hey Folks,

Now there is two words I have been waiting FIVE days to say. Yes I'm still alive a kicking. I want to personally thank, and I have, all those that have been truly concerned. I thank you all for your concern and well wishes. But my absence for these past five days were NOT due to my health or well being, it was due to the Master Home Base Computer.

Yeah, I understand, especially over at Facebook, that I have been open and honest about some health issues as of late. Then all of a sudden, poof, I disappeared. My Foopet Billy, 9 week old Pug, somehow survived. My Farm over at Farmville, lays to ruin, and I was gone. No response to Emails. No Tweets. No nothing. Just gone. So naturally, some of you were thinking something serious happened. It did. The good old OPNTalk computer bit the dust.

Technicians and myself, for whatever THAT was worth, worked on this problem all day Friday, Saturday, and even SUNDAY. Scans, checks, and tweaks galore. NOTHING. The complete OS {Operating System}, well, maybe not completely gone, but IMPOSIBLE to get to. Just nothing.

So Monday came, I fixed the problem. I bought a BRAND NEW ONE! Not until I sat back in "The Chair" and power up, did I fully realize just how ancient the old computer was. Yes I lost EVERYTHING on it. A Book I was writing, photos, personal information, ETC. Yes I will be down loading things as I go back to this and that site and realize I need this and that to run them. Yes FIVE days of stress and aggravation. But you know what? I LOVE THIS NEW ONE. It is the fastest thing I have seen in a long time. Crisp, clean, and well, FAR better than the old one. Which was three years old at the time. A new beginning.

Now I fully understand the NEED for something like Carbonite.com If you are like me, you most likely think that this will NEVER happen to you. Well, if you are like me, IT JUST DID! Photos, Music, Emails, Financial Records and other important stuff, all GONE!

Carbonite automatically backs up the most important files on your computer and stores them in a secure, off-site location. Your files will be safe and easily recovered from any computer. And with the flat, low rate of $54.95 a year, you'll, and I, will have access to unlimited backup space so you can back up as much as you'd like, without having to think about file size. Without having to worry that all can disappear. No more stress and aggravation. You've heard the hype. It happens in the background. You will most likely forget you have signed up for it. But when it HAPPENS. When you DO, and you will, have a system failure, you can rest assure knowing that you have lost NOTHING. Now I do not know if it was a Virus. I have some suspicions. I have been fighting off attacks for years. Especially since some do not like what I have to say about Obama. Or if it was just a system failure itself out of age or carelessness on my part. But whatever the reason, with Carbonite, it really doesn't matter. Once you get it fixed, or like me, go buy a new system all together, you can click, and restore EVERYTHING! You lose NOTHING.

I know what you are saying, I was too. I have antivirus protection. I did too. But it happened to me anyway. If you live in a home with muli users, you also have to think about that. Over the years, my Niece, about 12 at the time I think, dumped a hot-coco in the Keyboard. My Son Josh has hit whatever key making things just disappear, and others have downloaded this or than from unprotected Websites. Again, for whatever reason, you are at a bigger risk than you think.

Anyway, again, my sincerest apologies for my absence. But fret not, I will be back to normal soon. Some tweaking and loading to do, but before you know it, much to the shagrin of some of my more Liberal Friends, we will continue on. If someone out there really did send me a Virus that killed the old computer, THANK YOU! I like this one much more. {Smile}
Peter

2 comments:

Anne Green said...

Ben fried my mac keyboard about a year ago. He dumped something he was drinking on it. Fortunately I was an easy fix. About $24.99 for a new keyboard and I could move on with my life.

D.S.Harford said...

Hey I went thru the same thing not long ago. I was able to recover 80 to 90% of my old hard drive. placed the old drive actually 4 of them in a remote case and used something called EASEUS DATA Recovery wizard. Cops use programs like this all the time, since hard drives are never really erased.