Sunday, October 18, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness

Please check your selves. It may just save your life.

Hey folks,

I love Women. Nearly ALL of my friends my entire life have been Female. Most of my family is Females. Women love me. {Strictly platonic, get your mind out of the gutter 'Smile'} I have learned a great deal over the 40 years I've been living on the planet from my Female friends.

One of the things I have learned is that most do not want to think about the possibility of them coming down with Breast Cancer. Just like most Males who chose to put off getting their prostates checked, most Women put off Breast Exams. Pretty much for the same reasons. A - the unpleasantness, 2 - the embarrassment factor, and C - perhaps the biggest excuse, "It will never happen to me." So today in the Health and Science Segment, I want to look at Breast Cancer.

I came across this article in AOL News / Health - Tackling Breast Cancer in Young Women By Karen Asp. This is a great piece that really makes you think. I hope it really get's the point across to my Female friends out there. Here it is.

At 27 years old, Amanda Nixon never thought she'd be diagnosed with breast cancer. Now she's helping spread the message about this possibility and helping young women be more proactive.

When Amanda Nixon began experiencing odd symptoms in her right arm, breast cancer never crossed her mind. After all, she was only 27 years old, and 95 percent of breast cancers occur in women 40 years and older, according to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Her doctors also didn't consider the possibility, and they kept shooing away her complaints. But when her symptoms could no longer be ignored and a mammogram was ordered, the startling truth was revealed. Nixon had breast cancer.

Now almost four years past her diagnosis, Nixon has become an advocate for breast cancer prevention and awareness in young women through her work as a Young Survivor Advocate with the Keep a Breast Foundation. She was also recently named San Diego's 2009 Honorary Breast Cancer Survivor. Here, Nixon shares her story.

AOL Health: What were your initial symptoms?

Amanda Nixon: A few months after having breast-reduction surgery in February 2005, something didn't feel right. I had tightness in my right arm, loss of strength, pain and the symptoms got progressively more bizarre. My right breast got hard, turned purple and became hot to the touch. I went to my doctors several times, and each time, they said pain was typical after surgery and turned me away. In December 2005, my plastic surgeon finally ordered a mammogram, and that's when I learned I had breast cancer.

AOL Health: To treat your type of breast cancer, Inflammatory Breast Cancer, a rare form that represents only one in eight breast cancer cases, you went through two rounds of chemotherapy, a mastectomy, radiation therapy and finally reconstructive surgery. How did you get through all of that?

Nixon: It always felt like after I crossed one hurdle, there was another one to cross, so I decided to have little celebrations after each accomplishment. For instance, when I finished chemotherapy, my mom and I took a trip to Yosemite. And when I was done with radiation, I threw a dinner party at one of my favorite restaurants.

AOL Health: How are you feeling now?

Nixon: I'm doing really well, and I'd like to think there is no cancer in my body. I have regular mammograms and breast MRIs, and my doctor is watching me closely. So far, there haven't been any red flags.

AOL Health: How has this experience changed you?

Nixon: I've always been shy and was uncomfortable with my breasts, which is why I had a reduction. Now there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not talking about my breasts, especially since I'm now working with the Keep a Breast Foundation. So I've had to learn to be comfortable in my own skin. I've also changed some of my lifestyle habits. I'm taking a vitamin D supplement and have adopted a vegetarian/pescetarian [a form of vegetarianism that includes seafood] diet. I was always physically active before, but now I'm more conscious of getting physically activity every day.

AOL Health: What do you want young women to know about breast cancer?

Nixon: I know they're not thinking about breast cancer because at 27, I wasn't either, but they need to make their health a priority and take responsibility for their bodies. Know what normal means for your body. Do your monthly self-breast exams and have your breasts examined every year by a doctor. I also think doctors don't know that young women can get breast cancer, and I'm hoping to raise awareness of this issue.

AOL Health: What do you wish you would have known then that you know now?

Nixon: That I could have been more assertive, gotten a second opinion and asked more questions. I wish I would have known to be my own health advocate and push harder.

AOL Health: What advice would you share with young women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer?

Nixon: It's a process they need to take step-by-step, but they'll get through it, especially with support. Just know that in the end, you're going to come out a better person.


PLEASE take her words to heart. ANY questions, or signs, go get checked out. Do regular Breast Massage checks, or if you are in a relationship, encourage your Partner to do it. If they are like me, it will not take much coaxing to do it. I AM a Breast Man. All kidding aside, this really is a serious matter. DO NOT WAIT. Do not think it can't happen to you. That is what Ms. Nixon thought as well. Right before she found out it did.
Peter

Sources:
AOL News / Health - Tackling Breast Cancer in Young Women

1 comment:

Inflammatory breast cancer said...

I hope that the feeling does not happen to amanda the other woman...