Sunday, July 05, 2009

Bedwetting, Being Overweight linked to sleep apnea

Health and Science for 070509

Hey folks,

You know, it's kind of like when you buy a new car. All of a sudden you see them EVERYWHERE. I will admit that I had no idea about Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), until I was diagnosed with it. Now, I find that it is FAR more common than I knew, and that it is far more dangerous than I ever thought.

I keep learning more and more about it and I found this interesting. According to Health.am - Bedwetting, being overweight linked to sleep apnea

Children who are overweight and wet the bed at night may have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), researchers report.

Both being overweight and wetting the bed are associated with the nighttime breathing disorder, they found. However, overweight and bedwetting are not associated with each other.

OK I have to admit something else. The whole overweight thing REALLY bothers me. I really have no idea why. But it does. Now I weighed in at 224 my last weight check. But I would not consider myself as all that over weight due to the fact Muscle weighs more than fat and I have far more muscle than I do fat. Now yeah, I have gotten a little soft in the middle having stayed away from the gym for three years. But I'm back and working at it.

For those of you who watch Pro Wrestling, you know who I'm going to talk about. For those of you who do not, you will just have to trust me on this. Batista. Batista is 300 pounds, without an OUNCE of fat on him. Now by standard charts, he would be considered Obese. But he is not. So the whole, "OH, you have OSA, you better loose some weight," to me, well, is too generic. Anyway, back to the article.

In a “case-control” study, Dr. Joseph G. Barone, of Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, and colleagues performed overnight sleep studies in 149 children between the ages of 5 and 15 with OSA, and 139 matched control children.

They combined that data with information from medical records, including age, gender, height, weight, frequency of bedwetting, history of snoring, diabetes, nasal allergies, and/or enlarged tonsils.

According to Barone and colleagues, there was a significant association between both bedwetting and overweight and OSA.

Bedwetting raised the likelihood of OSA more than fivefold and being overweight raised the likelihood of OSA more than fourfold. However, their associations are independent of each other, the researchers note.

Barone’s team suggests that doctors consider OSA in overweight children who wet the bed, especially when they display other symptoms of OSA or fail to respond to standard bedwetting treatment programs.

SOURCE: Pediatrics, July 2009.


So what this is saying is that if your kid wets the bed, they are MORE likely to have OSA than ones that are overweight? WHY? I'm honestly asking here. What is the connection between wetting the bed and OSA? The weight thing, although I feel strongly can be overused, I can also understand. More weight makes is easier for your airways to be cut off. But bedwetting? That was a new one for me, and now something else I will have to look into.

But folks, I want you to take this seriously. This is a SERIOUS condition. In sever cases, Strokes, heart failure, death, can occur. So if you, or any of your loved ones show ANY of these signs, PLEASE get them checked out and get them the help they need.
Peter

Sources:
Health.am - Bedwetting, being overweight linked to sleep apnea

No comments: