Thursday, April 20, 2006

Last Example. New stuff SOON.

Gays in History

Hey Folks,

Here’s one of those articles that will upset many of my friends. It will upset my gay friends, liberal friends, and will most definitely upset my friends on the far right. But this is really an interesting, pointless, and very dangerous situation. I am 100% against this proposal, but maybe not for the reasons you think.

The proposed bill in California, which the state Senate Judiciary Committee passed on Tuesday by a 3-1 vote with only Republican Senate leader Dick Ackerman opposed, if passed by the state Legislature, would require school textbooks to include lessons on how gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender persons have helped California develop. The proponents say that history books record contributions by gays but their sexual orientation is often ignored.

So what? Let’s say for a second that George Washington was gay. First, prove it. Second, let’s just say he was, does that in any way change ANYTHING that he did? No. So other than the shear political aspect, it would be pointless to add that to the history book. Here is and has ALWAYS been one of my biggest problems with the whole gay-rights advocate’s political agendas. Why do I have to know who you are sleeping with? Do you know who I am? Why is it wrong for me to "flaunt" my "straightness", but ok for you to "flaunt" your "gayness"?

Karen England of the conservative Capitol Resource Institute said, "This bill would also prohibit anything that reflects adversely on those people," she added, "They're after their lifestyle to be embraced and they want to force it on kids as young as kindergarten."

You can bet that MANY on the right will be fighting this til the end. Why? For one thing, California is the biggest U.S. market for school textbooks. Also this will open doors for some other states to follow suite.

For those who truly know me knows how I feel about the whole homosexual topic. I have and have had many homosexual friends. In NY I had friends who are a gay couple that had been together for 30 years. One a artist and one a lawyer. My best friend is a lesbian. Believe it or not, they have never tried to convert me, jump me, never have they passed on any diseases to me, nor do I fear them destroying my life by their mere existence. I am in NO way "homophobic". The way I look at it, it doesn’t effect me in anyway, nor do I care who they take behind closed doors. But just like many organized religions out there, I do not want you shoving it down my throat, telling me that I have to accept it, and creating laws forcing it to be accepted. I most definitely do not want you shoving it down my kids throat in school.

This is just another example of even MORE special interest groups trying to get into the schools. Like I’ve said before, he who controls the minds of the youth, controls the future. We cannot teach our kids what they need to know NOW, without shoving a political agenda into the curriculum. We need to get special interest OUT of the schools, and put the basics back in.
Peter

We are what makes the world go around.

No comments: