Thursday, February 07, 2008

End Of Day Roundup For Thursday 020708

Hey folks,

Just another rare end of day round up. Also a quick programing note. First up? YOU did it again. You and Talk Radio. YOU and the Bloggers out there. {Me included thank you} WE killed yet another attempt at Amnesty. This time, Financial Amnesty.

Congress Sends Economic Aid Plan to Bush
Thursday February 7, 8:53 pm ET
By Andrew Taylor and Julie Hirschfeld Davis
Congress Sends Economic Aid Plan to Bush With Tax Rebates for Many; Bush Signals Approval

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress, facing the prospect of an election-year recession, passed an emergency plan Thursday that rushes rebates of $600 to $1,200 to most taxpayers and $300 checks to disabled veterans, the elderly and other low-income people. President Bush indicated he would sign the measure.

House passage by a 380-34 vote came a few hours after Senate leaders ended a drawn-out stalemate over the bill. Still, by congressional standards, lawmakers approved the legislation with exceptional speed to jolt the weak economy. The plan, which adds $168 billion to the deficit over two years, is intended to provide cash for people to spend and tax relief for businesses to make new investments -- boosts for an economy battered by a housing downturn and credit crunch.

Rebate checks could begin arriving in May. They would be based on 2007 tax returns, which are due April 15.

The Senate's 81-16 vote capped more than a week of political maneuvering. The logjam broke when majority Democrats dropped their demand that rescue proposal offer jobless benefits, heating aid for the poor and tax breaks for the home building and energy industries.

AMNESTY! That was the only problem in their version. Tax rebates for Illegal Aliens.

GOP senators blocked those ideas, but agreed to add $300 rebates for older people and disabled veterans to a $161 billion measure the House passed last week.

No one was opposed to this.

People who paid no income taxes but earned at least $3,000 -- including through Social Security or veterans' disability benefits -- would get a $300 rebate.

"We believe the stimulus, the way it is targeted, will put money into the hands of those who will spend it immediately, injecting demand into the economy and therefore creating jobs," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told colleagues.

The measure also includes steps to boost the ailing housing market. It would temporarily raise the limit on Federal Housing Administration loans and the cap on loans that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac can buy to $729,750.

The package was the product of a rare spate of bipartisan cooperation on Capitol Hill, where Democrats and Republicans teamed with the White House on a bill that fell far short of both parties' priorities but could draw broad consensus.

I love this.

"I could have played around with this and tried to pick up that 60th vote, but I made a commitment to get this bill done before (Feb. 15), and we did that," said Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

I could have played around? Isn't that what this Congress has done since the beginning? Anyway, we won again. Then the other big news of the day, I know is heartbreaking to some of you. Myself included in that. Romney is out.

"I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must stand aside for our party and our country," Romney told the Conservative Political Action Conference. He said a Democratic victory in the 2008 presidential election would endanger America's security in a time of war.

Now I'll admit, when I first heard those words today, my first thought was this.

"Oh, that's great. Now what. Who cares about this election NOW. I don't. Now I could not care less about it. They are all Libs. All of them. It no longer matters who wins. They are all the same."

But then I thought about it for a bit. Then I heard McCain's speech. I don't believe it. I would like to. But I don't. But this is not over yet. One thing that many people are forgetting is the House and the Senate. So Let's try this. Vote for McCain, and still hold out hope he has a conscience, hope he is telling the truth, and vote the Republicans BACK in control of the House and Senate. This way we have some checks and balance against the possibility that we are right about McCain.

DON'T give up all hope yet. there is still a ways to go until the General Election.

OK, enough Politics tonight. OH? Wait! Get this.

The widespread use of ethanol from corn could result in nearly twice the greenhouse gas emissions as the gasoline it would replace because of expected land-use changes, researchers concluded Thursday. The study challenges the rush to biofuels as a response to global warming.

{Laughing}

OK folks, quick programing note, very special edition of the Sunday edition of the OPN tomorrow Friday 020808. For only about the third time since the inception of the OPNTalk Blog, I will not be here ALL Weekend. Very busy one for me.

First, I'll be heading to Delray Florida for a Garlic Festival. My "Comment Checker" and Laura both want to try the Garlic flavored Ice Cream. Yup. Garlic flavored Ice Cream. Me? I'm not so sure.

Then on Sunday, I will be going, well, let's just say, Ghost Hunting. I cannot tell you where due to legality reasons, but I will be checking out an abandon School, house, and Mansion that is rumored to have quit a past. I'm looking forward to the Mansion. Supposedly it has a secret stair case leading under it. What is there? I will find out on Sunday. Check in on Monday to see if I survive. {Smile} Maybe I'll be able to share more then.

So tomorrow, you get the Sunday edition with all the Sunday stuff. See you then.
Peter

Soures:
USA Today - Romney suspends campaign
AP - Study: Ethanol may add to global warming

No comments: