Monday, November 05, 2007

CPS and DCF Revisited

Hey folks,

A friend of mine set me this email that they receive regularly from Chuck Murth.

Chuck Muth is President and CEO of Citizen Outreach and a professional political consultant. He also is a former executive director of the American Conservative Union, a former National Chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus, a former county GOP chairman (Clark County, Nevada), Nevada state party executive director, communications director, press secretary, direct mail fundraising consultant and Nevada State Senate candidate.

I believe I may have even used his stuff in the past. you can check out his blog Here.

Well, the person that sent this to me, KNOWS what I went through myself, in dealing with CPS. So first I'm going to post Murth's piece, then share with you my story, for those that are new and may not know.

ATTACK OF THE CHILD SNATCHERS

I don't tend to believe in coincidences, nor do I consider it paranoia when somebody really is out to get you. And especially when my children are involved.

For new readers who may not yet fully understand my political views and philosophy, I think they are best summed up by the immortal words of late Reagan press secretary Lyn Nofziger, who famously said, "I don't like government; it's just that simple."

Oh, and I don't like labor unions any more than I like government.

Politically speaking, I've made a lot of enemies over the years.

So there I was around three o'clock yesterday afternoon - writing my national Muth's Truths weekend column on the Westboro Baptist Church in the back room - when somebody knocked on our front door. A few minutes later my eldest daughter came back and said Momma Gia wanted me to come talk to the lady.

I walked outside - allowing our "vicious" puppy to scoot out the door and begin running around in circles chasing her tail in the driveway - and found my wife holding our baby in her arms with our daughter by her side talking to an older woman. My wife began explaining: "This lady is from Child Protective Services and she's investigating an anonymously filed report that our kids were playing in the street with no shoes on and she wants to see the kids and inspect our house and..."

WHOA! Stop...right...there!

Gia, into the house. Kristen, into the house. Cujo-puppy, into the house.

If there's one government agency that strikes more fear into the hearts of parents in this country than the Internal Revenue Service (which I've also had some unpleasant experience with), it's Child Protective Services. These people have the power to take your children away from you, and their actions are often triggered by anonymous "tips."

This is not to say there aren't children out there who truly need the intervention and protection of CPS (in Nevada it's actually CFS, for Children and Family Services), but they are nevertheless a government agency with an enormous amount of power. That someone sic'ed CFS on me anonymously was a threat I took DAMNED seriously.

So I told the woman, who was pleasant enough and just doing her job, that the conversation was over; that I had nothing further to say without my attorney present; and that no one was going to inspect my home or question my kids without a court order. End of discussion. Thank you for stopping by.

First things first: Call the lawyer. He said not to worry; just email him the contact information for the CFS investigator and he'd take care of it first thing Monday morning.

Next, remind the kids that they are not to talk to or go anywhere with strangers, ESPECIALLY if they say they're from the government. With that, back to normal life.

Dropped the frightened 7-year-old off at Boys & Girls Club after assuring her that I wouldn't let the government take her to "juvy hall." Then took the 5-year-old, her friend and the baby to the Children's Museum to get them out of Momma Gia's hair for a couple hours. While there I read a few chapters of Jack Goldsmith's book, "The Terror Presidency," about how lawyers are gumming up the war on terrorists and inhibiting our soldiers' ability to win.

Back home around 5:30 p.m. for a meeting with the lovely and talented Randi Thompson - the woman who made sure our recently-concluded Conservative Leadership Conference ran like clockwork - after which she'd be staying for dinner with the Muth clan.

Momma Gia left with the 5-year-old, her friend and the baby to Boys & Girls Club to pick up the 7-year-old and her friend, all of whom would be staying overnight at our humble abode for one of those slumber party things young girls seem to enjoy so much.

I had no sooner opened a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and poured Randi and I both a glass when there was a knock on the door. I figured it was another of the neighborhood kids who was coming over for the slumber party, but to my shock and surprise there were two uniformed sheriff's deputies on the porch instead.

Nothing like answering the door and finding two police officers investigating a child welfare complaint with a glass of liquor in your hand!

Anyway, the officers informed me that the CFS woman had reported me to them and that they were there to see my kids and inspect my home to see if they had clothes, shoes and beds to sleep in. I was even told they wanted to look in my refrigerator to see if I had milk and food in the house.

OK. Now this...was...serious.

I informed the officers that the kids weren't home; that my wife was out picking them up. I also informed them that I wanted to talk to my lawyer before letting them into my house. I knew I had the right to stop them from entering without a court order, but I also knew that in a matter dealing with children they would surely obtain one with no problem. It was simply a matter of letting them in now or letting them in later. Still, my inclination was to force the issue and wait for a court order.

As I was explaining that I suspected this was all a politically-motivated investigation due to my work, Momma Gia pulls up in the driveway with the kids. So much for waiting for a court order before letting the law see and inspect the children. Fortunately, when they emerged from the van they all had their shoes on for a change.

"Well, you may as well come in the house now," I said.

As luck would have it, my wife had already pre-set the dinner table with our "fine china" because of the slumber party and because we always "put on the Ritz" when Aunt Randi comes over for dinner. There was a pot-roast in the slow-cooker on the counter and pots of corn on the cob, potatoes and gravy on the stove. And since Thursday was payday, we'd just come back from buying a couple hundred dollars worth of food and beverages from Costco. So Mother Hubbard's cupboards were anything but bare when I opened them and the fridge for the deputies.

The girls' room looked like a typical girls' room - which, of course, means it looked like, in my mother's words, a pig sty. But yes, my kids do have beds and there were even sheets, blankets and pillows on them.

Needless to say, the police officers were completely satisfied and let me know they would report positively back to CFS. On the way out the door, one of the officers noticed the picture of Ronald Reagan I have hanging in our entrance hallway and remarked, "What a great man." That made me feel a little better. Not much. But a little.

I fully understand that the CFS worker and the police officers were just doing their jobs, and that any report involving child welfare needs to be taken seriously. But that doesn't mean the whole incident didn't scare the hell out of me. God help whoever filed this frivolous report thinking it was funny or an appropriate payback - whether it was politically motivated or just some busy-body neighbor - if I ever find out who it was. Even the mafia draws the line at going after someone's children.

OK, I'm outta here. Taking the kids for a LONG walk DEEP into the woods today. And this time, I'm going to make SURE none of them bring any doggone bread crumbs with them!

I can more than relate to what Mr. Murth went through. I did as well. Here is what I posted, I believe it was at Ethepeople, a over two years ago.

I Can Honestly Say,

Hey Folks,

I’ve been sitting on this for about 5 days. Going back and forth as to if I was going to post it. I decided to so the tale can be told. It can be discussed. It has to be put forth for debate.

Joshua is doing great. He seems to be increasingly ever hungry. He is up to 4 to 4 ½ ounces of formula and breast milk a feeding. He also seems to be quite advanced. I know, I know, but it’s not just proud papa talking. The Doctors, nurses, and all that have dealt with him are saying the same thing. He is now on record as “extremely advanced”. He is now 20 days old. He is FULLY aware of EVERYTHING. He is already getting out of anything we put him in, unless we strap him in. He is already able to instantly turn himself over. He holds his head up. He is already, if placed on his belly, able to “scoot” himself across the floor. He is ALMOST CRAWLING. It is truly an amazing thing to watch.

But it DOES have draw backs. I can now honestly say I understand why some parents take their kids and run. I can honestly say, I understand why so many people HATE the CPS. Here’s my story. Yes, MY story.

Before we truly knew how active he was, I put him in this little jumper seat. I sent Laura to bed and was watching him. I did not even imagine he could get out of the seat. Well, he did. Because Joshua is so mobile and active this early, he then started to scoot himself across the carpet. This caused a minor rug burn on his right knee. We took care of it, and took him to the doctor for a standard check up. The next day? Yup, CPS at the door. “We have to investigate possible abuse of your Son.” So it began..

We had to go to their doctors and give interviews. It all came down to the same thing. “NO 15 day old child can get out of a chair, and NO 15 day old child can give himself a carpet burn. They cannot craw, and we do not believe this is how it happen.”

So, the doctor and two other “experts” placed Joshua on his belly. He scooted himself across the exam table. Doctor? “Uh OK.”. Then we placed him in the chair in question. In less then 5 minutes, he got himself out of it and was heading to the floor again. The Doctor? “Uh OK.” After three and a halve hours of this ordeal, the “experts” decided “No abuse found.” It was one of the most stressful things I’ve ever been through. Strangers coming to our house and accusing us of abusing our kid. When all was said and done, we got a “no abuse found, thanks for your time.”

I understand that in some cases CPS may do a good job, but I feel in most cases they destroy good families, then at the same time let kids under THEIR care be abused and killed. Great track record they have.

I guess it was kind of a good thing that this happened. We now KNOW how Joshua is. We need to keep an eye on him. The “experts” were so impressed with him that they started giving us advise on advanced behavior. Yeah, I’m going to listen to these people.

I wasn’t going to post this, but I NEEDED to tell the tale. If you have children, be VERY careful. If CPS can show up at my door, they can show up at yours. It is NOT a pleasant experience. Even being found innocent. Needless to say, we will be finding another Pediatrician. That was who contacted CPS. You know, another “expert” who said “it is not possible”.
Peter

Joshua is doing just find now over two years later. No more intervention by CPS, no more questions about abuse. Everyone is happy and healthy.

On January 21, 2007, in the Just My Thoughts segment, "Attack on Family" I said this.

So what is the government’s answer? Create an organization that monitors and protect kids. DCF Department of Children and Families, CPS Child Protective Services. It may be known as or DFPS, ETC in your area. This is a government organization with "good intentions" but WAY too much power to destroy healthy families. For just some examples Check THIS out. More examples here.

This you have story after story of missing and abused kids in Foster Care There are a THOUSAND missing in Florida alone.

There is story after story of Foster Care failings. But yet, with a phone call, they can come to your house, rip your kids right out of their own bedrooms, and destroy the family. WITH NO EVIDENCE. No trial. Nothing. Just an anonymous complaint. Yet where these, possibly happy and healthy kids go, they are really abused and turn up missing. So you fight to get them back, when you are "found innocent," the damage is done to your kid. If they can find them.

So is THIS who will be enforcing the "Spanking laws." There are those that believe that "Time Out" works. There are even some that are making money selling "Time Out" merchandise. "Time Out" doesn’t work. It may have an effect the first or second time, but in the long run, it really does not deter the behavior that causes the need.

Spanking on the other hand DOES. I’m not justifying nor promoting "beating" the child. No one is. We all ready have laws that enforce that. But a spanking when deserved, does work. Has worked for thousands of years.

From the new smoking laws, to this moron attempting to make it a misdemeanor to spank your child, the Liberals are stripping you of right after right, in the name of "protecting the children." I’ve said before as to dealing with the school system, the reason is simple. He who controls the youth, controls the future. If the Liberals and the Government can take the rights away from those parents that they do not agree with, they can raise up a whole new breed of Liberals. In turn, destroy what they deem "problematic" to the furthering of Liberalism itself. You know, Christianity, morals, or anything anti-Liberal.

Generation after generation of stripping away rights, morals, and increasing the grey area, the "anything goes" crowd has given us what we have today. They want to continue, even now some, do not even understand that this is more wrong than they can possibly believe.

Parents need to stand up and say, enough is enough. WE are the parents. They are OUR kids. WE will raise them how we see fit. They will be the people we teach them to be. WE are the final authority. WE do not care what you think. WE do not care what the school says. WE know what is right and just. WE will teach our kids. STAY OUT OF OUR FAMILY.

Only then, will we start making progress in returning morals, right and wrong, and truly protecting our children.

Like Mr. Murth said, and as I have shared, here are two happy and healthy families that were basically invaded by an outside, government run, "Child Protection" agency. Meanwhile? Those that they actually take? They do NOT care for. They have bigger problems then we do, who is investigating THEM?
Peter

Sources:
Chuck Murth
Opntalk- "Attack on Family"
Wikipedia - Chuck_Muth">Chuck Murth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Chuck,
In the memorable words of a great writer, "It's just like going to the bathroom...The job isn't finished 'till the paperwork is done!"
Fortunately for you, the officer loved your picture of Ronald... On the other hand, when the officer made claims about the alledged lacks in your home, (food, clothes, beds, etc.) you should write these things down and when proven false, have the officer sign the document, alleging no shortages. It's one thing for an officer to say one thing, in the family home, and quite another in what he/she might say to a CPS agent, and/or what a CPS agent might claim was said by the officer. Another established technique is the use of electronic surveillance, camera, etc. to record the event. If they disagree with being filmed, then maybe they should wait until a lawyer arrives, or a witness to document the situation. If this sounds a little paranoid, please understand, you're dealing with an agency with a long and notorious history of legal and professional abuse and misconduct. An agency of tyrants who think nothing of oppressing the weak; terrorizing the masses. Although this was not the original intent of this agency, nor is anything written into their mandate, it is common place, as part of CPS policy, protocol and practices. In the memorable words of another great writer, (police officer), "Of course we lie... that's what we do... in fact we get paid to lie!"
THE COMMITTEE (People-4-People) www.geocities.com/tp4pc get many complaints and through them all, the one's who fair the best are those who document anything and everything, "Every jot and tittle!"